BSODs

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi all,
I've started getting the dredded blue screens. It can happen at any time, two or three times a day for the last three days. Windows tells me it has made an error file but I can't find it, even search tells me it isn't there. Event viewer tells me nothing. Any ideas how I can start to pin this down?
Cheers.

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    try doing a search for error.log file

also might want to do a chkdsk/f c: at the command prompt

memtest might be a good idea too

tho more and likley it is a corupt file or bad driver

is their anything in common that you are doing when this happens
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2005
    There is a load of warnings in event viewer about a cache file that is missing from paintshop pro though the prog runs fine. There is no pattern to it, it last did it when I was looking at the desktop, only folding was running, it has done it several times when closing notepad or messanger.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    try running chkdsk/f c: from the command prompt

might be time to update the drivers also

might want to look into reinstalling the program also causing the event view errors

did you find the error log?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Correct command is "chkdsk C: /f" minus the quotes.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    To track down the exact error it may help to make sure your settings are set to "enable" it. Click the areas I marked in red, not the way I have mine set. :)
    edited October 2005
    Thanks guys. It hasn't reset through the night. I will run chkdsk shortly. Error reporting is enabled prof, when it comes up there is an option to view Error report contents. It says these two files will be included in the report then gives two locations, C:\DOCUME~1|dad\LOCALS~1\Temp|WERf104.dir00\Mini101205-01.dmp, the other is similar but ends .dir00\sysdata.xml. I have scoured windows explorer and searched for these files but I can't find them, I assumed they would give a clue.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    To track down the exact error it may help to make sure your settings are set to "enable" it. Click the areas I marked in red, not the way I have mine set. :)

This is just the thing that send errors to MS. This isnt the event viewer etc...

Tex
    edited October 2005
    I ran chkdsk, I don't think it did anything, when it finished it just went off so I didn't see if it reported making any changes. I cleared all temp files and it hasn't blue screened since (it probably will just after I post this though)
    I was doing it 3\6 times a day but now we have 2 clear days so hopefuly it's fixed.
    Cheers all.