SMx Project revisions

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
After long deliberation and discussion, the SMx Committee has agreed that a few revisions are needed in the SMx project, given its growth and further maturity.

The long-standing first qualification of SMx Hosts has traditionally been phrased like this: Team member must be in good standing and have shown dedication to Team Short-Media, former Team Icrontic, and the Folding@Home project for the long haul. Past participation and contributions are taken into account.

This qualification has been slightly formalized so that everyone can better determine how this qualification applies. This will be appended to the qualification: Hosts must be an active, dedicated member of the team (turning in points for Team 93 and stopping by the Short-Media forums at least periodically) while hosting.

As previously mentioned, we've also started collecting hosts' full real names, mailing addresses, and phone numbers. If you are a host and haven't given those details to mmonnin yet, please do so as soon as you can. :)

We're also working to formalize the agreement of hosts to take care of rigs and recognize them as property of the site. More about that will be coming later; its just enough of a precaution to make sure the project can continue on its excellent track record indefinitely. :D

The goal here is to keep the SMx Project both active and safe for the team and its members. Thanks for continuing to support it! :cool:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    The information is only for emergency contact if needed. No one will be sending you junk mail or solicitors will be calling because of this.
  • edited September 2003
    The reason for the addition to be qualified is due to the fact that a few of the SMx rigs are being hosted by people who are not active for the team or participate here in the forums either and it is harder to get in touch with them due to them not being active with the Team or the forums and also it isn't fair to the active members of this Team who haven't gotten the chance to host a SMx rig that want to host one.

Like mmonnin said, the reason for a record of our host's names and addresses is so that we can get in touch with our hosts in case of emergencies and it would make the shipping of any parts needed for the rigs in case of a part failure much easier. We probably had a list of the earlier rigs at the old forums but that went to cyber heaven when the old IC was hacked to death.:(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I'm cool with that....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Are these new requirements retroactive?

NS
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Are these new requirements retroactive?

NS
    Yes, they are.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Names? Addresses? Telephone numbers?

What's next? Driver's license number? Social Security Number?

I get it. The SMx stuff is just a front for the RIAA to get our personal information so they can slap us with law-suits. Pretty tricky, guys . . . pretty tricky.
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited September 2003
    PM'd MM with info and them some;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thanks Hotrodsun!

btw: I just removed the word "primarily" from the appended section above. Having (at least) one machine folding for Team 93 qualifies for hosting. Folding for other teams at the same time is fine as long as the donated rig and at least one personal machine remain folding for Team 93.

Technicalities :rolleyes::p
    edited September 2003
    Hotrodsun said
    PM'd MM with info and them some;)

Hehe, yeah I got some extra info. Still a few more names and addies that I dont have.

The RIAA paid big bucks for this info.;) We are now going to build a yattamoster for SM20.:)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2003
    muddocktor said
    The reason for the addition to be qualified is due to the fact that a few of the SMx rigs are being hosted by people who are not active for the team or participate here in the forums either and it is harder to get in touch with them due to them not being active with the Team or the forums and also it isn't fair to the active members of this Team who haven't gotten the chance to host a SMx rig that want to host one.

Thats cool with me... those people are lame... I guess thats one way to get a free computer but really its pretty lame, shame on them...

If I ever get lucky enough to baby sit one of these I would expect to give some info to the head of the team for contact pourposes...
    And if I ever had to let it go for what ever reason I'd make the contact and hopefully it would go to another deserving team member... Its just the way you do things ya know... :rolleyes2

Just my thoughts,
    "g"
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    Sounds pretty reasonable :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited September 2003
    I agree with new improvements, also I'll get my info to mmonnin as soon as I finish this post. Looks like you guys have some good ideas going on, great for the team and the project in whole, keep it up guys. It takes a lot to be a host, as gtghm posted, some might see if as getting another computer, but it is the TEAMS computer, not the host, so if one does not have what it takes to be active in the community and all then they probably shouldn't be a host.
    edited September 2003
    Thank you Clutch.:) Got the PM.