Paging file keeps disappearing?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I was setting up a new computer (not NEW, assembled from parts actually) with Windows XP Home, and all was going well. Until the end. I had installed the CD drive and motherboard driver CDs even though it didn't appear to need them. Then I installed Adobe Acrobat 7 from a free download. Something like 27 MB, I think.

Now all of a sudden, the boot up process takes much longer than normal, and I keep getting messages saying that the paging file is too small. I set it to 768 / 768 MB a few times, but it doesn't appear to be keeping the setting.

I deleted the Adobe products and did a System Restore to before their time, but the problems seem to be continuing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Don't give it a static value - just let it be on "system managed size" so that it's dynamic.
  • edited October 2005
    just let windows handing it, no need to set the file size.nowadays windows could handle it well.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Ya'll serious? This is fine now? Does it actually offer faster speeds or what? As far as I can remember it's always been to set it to a specific size for both max and min.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    After I system restored out a few extra programs that normally cause no trouble it ran fine.

I put the paging file at 768/768 in most cases.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    You should not set the max size to something small. There is no advantage. Set the min to something large you do not think you will exceed but why set the max to the same thing?

Tex
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I don't know, I've always just done it this way.

What are some good min and max numbers?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    Many mistanely set them to the same size trying to keep the pagefile from fragmenting and I think its a misguided concept unless you make it really huge. Which is wasteful.

I think MS still uses 1.5 times the amount of ram in your system as a general guide. But I think that was developed at a time when most people were running with between 256 and 512mb ram. If you have a GB of ram I would create the pagefile at 1gb and let it grow to 2gb. This is for a normal user not a photoshop guy or other power application user. They need a bigger one. Hopefully it will never grow at all and you created it the right size to start with but.... I just don't see the advantage of limiting the size. You don't want to run out pf pagefile.

Tex