SmartMedia Cards That Stop Working

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello again. Here's my next problem.
I have a Yamaha keyboard that uses SmartMedia Cards. Everything was going along great till I put one of my cards in the removable slot of my HP Computer with Windows XP. The card is no longer recognized by the Yamaha. After researching this problem I've come up with the following:

1 - Windows XP does something with the format of the card.
2 - The cards stop working in some digital cameras as well.
3 - Only cards formatted with what is being called a "Low Level Formating" will work.
4 - I have searched for software that can format with "low level formating" and found nothing.
5 - Working cards used in my Mac G4 with a cheap reader can be copied (and therefore backed-up, which is the purpose of all this) still work in the Yamaha.
6 Working Cards used in my old IBM clone with Windows 98 and a cheap reader can be copied (and therefore backed-up, which is the purpose of all this) still work in the Yamaha.
7 - I have investigate progams like Killdisk and Compuapp. Killdisk needs to be run from DOS. The instructions are to boot from a floppy and run in DOS. My HP computer with XP does not have a floppy drive. I downloaded Compuapps program because in the desription it said "Low level Farmat". But when you run it, there is no Low Level Format option. I ran the format option it gave and the card still did not work.
8- I tried running smprep1.exe and smprep2.exe but gat an error message "SmartMedia Drivers not loaded".

Question - I would like to regain the use of my SmartMedia Cards (3). I would like to use my Hp computer to creat a back-up folder and still be able to use the cards in the yamaha. because i keep hearing that a Low level Format is the answer, can you tell me a program I could use? Or, any suggestion or alternative would be great.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    It doesn't look like there are many who are familiar with Smart Media cards with Windows XP. Neither am I. The only problem I saw was with an older version of XP- (have you updated everything?). You might consider getting in touch with the manufacturer or see if there is a forum for this and see what their procedures are.

Maybe bumping this will get the right person's attention too. Hope you get it figured out.