Recommend me a power supply

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Right, I'm after a new powersupply to power a s754 3200+, 6800GT system... my current powersupply shows -13.8v on the -12v, the other voltages are all over the place as well and I think my system is suffering as a result. so, 2 questions:

1) can a crap powersupply affect system performance? I know it can affect stability and possibly damage components, but can it make your PC run slower than it should be doing?

2) can you recommend a good, fairly cheap (£40-£50) powersupply that I can actually get in the UK?

cheers :)

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Antec TruePower 2.0 380W PSU (CA-029-AN)

Scroll to the end of the page
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Antec_103.html
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    deicist wrote:
    ...1) can a crap powersupply affect system performance? I know it can affect stability and possibly damage components, but can it make your PC run slower than it should be doing?...
    I would seriously doubt that it would have any impact that wouldn't also be accompanied by the stability issues you mentioned. The potential for damage is there, though. A struggling PSU may end up taking something else with it, if and when it decides to go *{pop}*.

I'll leave specific recommendations to those with a better understanding of cost/value in the UK. :ukflag:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    -12v is unimportant. Just make sure your 12v rail voltage is good and that you have at least 24A available on the 12v rail.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2005
    Cheers for the info guys. Think I'll be going for that Enermax that Grayfox recommended :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    He recommended an Antec? But both brands are of good quality. I have both, several Antecs actually. Heck even 3 year old 330W True Antec is powering my A64 machine and the 12V Rail is at 12.01! Its all about quality. Soon I should have my OCZ 520W Modstream tho, can't wait.