Pc4000 + Nf7-s 2.0

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I have OCZ PC4000 VX Gold, and the old faithful, NF7-S 2.0.. I can assume that the memory doesn't run 2/2/2 at 210 due to the old SPD issues? Works fine at 2/3/3.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    How much vdimm are you throwing at it Thrax?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Anything from 2.6 to 2.9 real volts.
  • edited October 2005
    What spd issues are you talking about, Thrax? That VX 4000 should have 2.5-4-4-10 programmed into the spd according to cpu-z (that's what it shows on my vx4000).
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    With VX Gold you want at least v3.0 and it can take upwards of v3.6 (with cooling)

VX = Voltage Extreme
    edited October 2005
    There was an old issue between nForce2 boards and PC4000 memory;while the SPD chip was programmed at 2.5/4/4 (As the example stands here), the memory was rated for significantly higher, yet it wouldn't function at its package-rated speed. For example, the PC4000VX can do DDR500 at 2/2/2 with 3.3v.. Wouldn't it stand to reason that it could at least do DDR400 at 2/2/2 with 2.9v? Makes sense to me. I'd reckon that it'd work on a newer, non-NF2 board.

It's a minor quibble in the long run.. 2.5/3/3 with 1GB is just as fast as 512 of 2/2/2 ever was. I'm just trying to iron out the logistics of it so I don't have any ambiguities. I hate ambiguities.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    Looks like Thrax could use a DDR Booster.:)
    edited October 2005
    Didn't the NF2 memory controller have problems with 2x512MB Dual channel? As in it didn't run as well as 2x256MB?
    edited October 2005
    Yes, and that's another issue I'm looking at. It matters little as within the next 3 months, I'm getting my precious Athlon 64 computer at long last, but like I said, I hate details unresolved.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    I'm not familiar with the NF7 bios, but have you tried CPC disabled as well as single-channel?

Sometimes swapping the dimm locations can make a big difference as well. I'd also be curious to see how it reacts to only 1x512 instead of 2x512.
    edited October 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes, and that's another issue I'm looking at. It matters little as within the next 3 months, I'm getting my precious Athlon 64 computer at long last, but like I said, I hate details unresolved.
    What are you planning on getting?
    edited October 2005
    DFI nf4 SLI-DR, and whatever core/stepping happens to be the best at the time (Probably some variation of the Venice 3000+).
    edited October 2005
    Keep in mind the new NF4 chipset with two full 16x PCIe slots (instead of 8x & 8X) debut next month from DFI & Abit.

Also there's a new DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR Expert It has a software SLI switch, uses a 24pin/8pin PSU and the SLI slots are separated by two PCIe slots instead of one slot in between.
    edited October 2005
    I know. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.. I won't be using SLI.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    Hmm so I could use my PCP&C PSU since it has 8 pin and no 4 pin. Hmmm...

And it looks like you will be able to use about any water block on the northbridge with this board.

They also moved the position of the RAM from above the CPU socket to between the CPU socket and the backplate.
    edited October 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Hmm so I could use my PCP&C PSU since it has 8 pin and no 4 pin. Hmmm...

And it looks like you will be able to use about any water block on the northbridge with this board.

They also moved the position of the RAM from above the CPU socket to between the CPU socket and the backplate.
    Yup - Workstation class PSUs have moved down into the highend Motherboard range. Supposedly 24pin/8pin & 6pin PCIe is the new spec for Intel CPU/motherboards going forward.