Ibm tirnitron p260 monitor help

edited October 2005 in Hardware
hi, i just recently bought a 21in ibm trinitron monitor, its very nice, very clear, good picture quality, only one problem, the bightness is set too high. right now i have the brightness set at zero, and contrast set at 100, still very bright, so i have to tweak my display to gpu and put that at zero brightness too...its just out of adjustment. after i put both monitor and windows at zero brightness, the monitor is perfect. i've read up alot abotu this issue and it appears to be not just my monitor, this a known issue with these trinitrons expecially the 21in. i bought this monitor off a website , and i told them about this and they said no poroblem, they issued me a rma and said i can return it for another refurbished one.i've done alot of researching, i've found out that there is a way to solve it by putting a new resister on it, taking out the 10 and giving it a 5 or so. i have no problem with doing that. i also been told about adjusting the hv knobs for the brightness. my problem is that if i return this monitor for another refurbished one, im gonna end up with the same problem , i wouldnt doubt all of them are pretty bright. so im debating on whether to send it back and get another refurbished one, which will cost me 40 bucks to send back. or sauter a diff resister on it. or if i can just adjust the adjusters in the back of the flyback.. i doubt returning it and getting another refurbished one will solve my high brightness problem. i've seen lots of forums stating that these monitors and some dells have brightness issues.

http://www.hutzelman.com/home/hardware/mods/monitor/

check that out

any input on this would help me out, thanks

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Check out this thread:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549&highlight=bright

May be a similar situation. It's very long, but some good info there. I belive the monitor in question there also has a trinitron tube.
  • edited October 2005
    yeah, i read that whole thread already, like i said, i've done alot of research already
  • edited October 2005
    but im still curiouis on the actuall adjusters. the hv adjuster for the brightness, isnt there one in the back?...wouldnt it be smart to try adjusting that before doing all the saudering and stuff
  • edited October 2005
    also, does that sauter mod work for my ibm p260 trinitron
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    bighomey99 wrote:
    but im still curiouis on the actuall adjusters. the hv adjuster for the brightness, isnt there one in the back?...wouldnt it be smart to try adjusting that before doing all the saudering and stuff
    I'd try that first, seeing as how it would be much easier to undo.

What would it cost you to replace the unit via RMA? (Shipping, etc.) Unless they were going to charge you a fortune to ship the old one back (which they well might for a 21" monitor), I'd at least give that a shot. Once you break out the soldering iron it's going to be bye-bye warranty.

My guess would be that the resistor mod has a good chance of working, but until someone with the exact same monitor comes along to verify that I'd be careful. :)
  • edited October 2005
    hmm, well im gonna do the mod, the review is the same as this monitor, same spot where the resister is and everything.. its a sony trinitron ...my question is i bought the resister and now i need to know something. i went to radio shack and bought a 4.7k-ohm resister thats 1/2 watt - 5% tollerance.. and standard .062 rosin core solder.. is this correct?