Mouse pointer creeps on its own

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I'm rebuilding a computer system that I got cheap. Now I think the mouse is why I got it cheap. It has a Soyo K7VME motherboard in it. For the first day or so everything was fine with it.

Now the mouse pointer constantly creeps around the screen on its own. It wants to go to the top left of the screen. I cleaned out the mouse roller wheel, tried another mouse (which worked even worse) and checked the Mouse Properties in Control Panel (Windows XP Home). Holding it in place long enough to double click something has gotten difficult to do.

It still creeps.

Why does it do this? I think maybe the mouse PS/2 port has something wrong with it. I'll have to find a USB mouse and try again.

And I just put a new CMOS battery in it, in case anyone offers that as a solution. And I voltage tested the new battery too. 3.5 volts from Radio Shack.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Give it some cheese.

If that doesn't work, try the following in this order:

Update the mouse drivers
    Update the chipset drivers
    Update the video drivers

You say it worked fine at first, did the problem begin after installing a particular update or program? Are you using a tablet, joystick, or a HID-Compliant device?
  • edited October 2005
    I've seen that happen before and it was the mouse ps2 port that was the problem, the time I ran across this happening. A USB mouse cured the problem in my case.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    i like using USB instead of the ps2 port for my mouse. ive had less problems.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I tried plugging the mouse cable in several times, holding it to various sides while connected, and that didn't seem to make any difference.

I know someone who has several USB mice, so I'll try one of those.

This computer has XP Home SP2 and all the available Microsoft updates, so I think the driver issue should be okay. It could possibly be the motherboard driver CD or something on it that caused the problem. I'll have to look in System Restore and see if it can tell me anything.
  • edited October 2005
    The time I ran across this problem was on a laptop and I think that someone had spilled coffee on the touchpad (dell lappy) and both the touchpad and the ps2 mouse did this. After disabling the ps2 port in bios and installing the usb mouse, the lappy was perfectly usable, but obviously the touchpad also didn't work (since it shares the ps2 connection on that model dell laptop).
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Hi Tim

Yes I have that problem too. Not as bad as yours though. Original thread

Or copy and pasted here
    scott wrote:
    I did not see a thread dedicated to bugs with SP2 yet so I thought I would start one.

Mouse pointer "crawls" after stoping

As Soon as the Service pack finished insatalling I went to click OK or Finish or whatever it said and noticed that my mouse pointer had crawled out of the box. I have had this optical mouse on the machine for 6 months and never had a problem. It seems to crawl in the direction of last movement. If you move the mouse up and stop it will wait a second and then crawl another 1/4 or 3/8 of inch in that direction. Not really a big problem but very annoying. Last night after a few ( OK several ) adult beverages, It became a real problem. Anyone else have this glitch ? Any ideas on what to do about it ? ( besides limiting the alcohol intake )

Scott

That was sometime ago , it is a usb mouse and it "occured right after installing SP2. I never did resolve it. I have tried other mice both PS2 and USB same problem.

Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    if you power up the computer with no mouse plugged in at all, and get all the way to windows with no mouse, does it still do it?
  • edited October 2005
    If it's an optical mouse and it's on an incompadible surface, that could cause the cursor to move on its own. I've seen wood grain patterns do strange things with the cursor.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I put in a USB mouse and it works fine now. Never had that problem before.