water cooling question

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited November 2005 in Hardware
I want to use a Swiftech Storm Waterblock on an Athlon 64x2 4800+ and an undetermined VGA block for a 7800gtx. I am using a 317GPH pump with 1/2" id tubing, and 2 120mm radiators. The CPU block is supposed to have high pressure to work properly, and I don’t want to chain the VGA and CPU blocks together in series. If I use a standard Y splitter I’m afraid I will loose too much pressure in the CPU block. Is there some kind of Y flow valve I can use to slightly restrict the flow to the VGA block, or should I not worry about it? Any suggestions would be great :)

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    I'm no expert in watercooling, but at one point I was very very close to buying a kit. I researched it for a few months so I know a decent amount about watercooling, but i bought some other stuff instead.

I wouldn't worry about it loosing pressure. I dont think it will make much of a difference.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited October 2005
    i probably should have mentioned that the cpu block has these nifty water jets in it. hence the reason it needs the pressure. the pump by the way can deliver 50 PSI. for the vga block im looking at the Zalman ZM-GWB2. does anyone know anything about this block? any good?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    what pump are you using?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    You could split 1/2 tubing towards the CPU block and 3/8 tubing towards the GPU block. That should force more water towards the CPU instead of splitting the flow equally.
  • edited October 2005
    Yeah, I was going to suggest what Marc just posted. If that doesn't work, then Eheim makes some quick connects that use ball valves on each side of the quick connect and you could use that to pinch the flow down to the gpu block. It would be a kind of spendy item to buy though; I think they go for around $10-15 from an online pet shop.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    Hmm I wonder if what I suggested would just speed up the flow in the smaller ID tubing so it would still have the same gph or if it would actually lower the gph.
  • edited October 2005
    I have a thermaltake BigWater SE 12cm Liquid Cooling System and the pump seems to have broken .....I realise that I can buy replacment pumps but what do I need to be aware of before I buy one ...your help is appreciated as this is my first water cooling kit and I have no experience in replacement parts
    edited October 2005
    pretty much your looking for a pump that can handle 1/4in ID tubing
    http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=1001&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0
    the eheim is a great pump, its quiet, and will be more than enough to push through that loop. it has removable barbs so you can replace the stock 1/2 in with 1/4 in without much problem. remember to use silicon tape on teh threads though your youll have like problems
    edited October 2005
    well, heres what i decided. im going to just chain the two together. the cpu block really has quite a bit of resistance to the flow, and theres nothing i can do to even it out like i want to. its a swiftec pump by the way. i am on the other hand going to split the flow to the two radiators. that way they will disapate the same amount of heat.

i have another question lol. what is the best way to keep 5/8" OD tubing from kinking on curves? im going to use some elbow joints to help, but i dont want to use too many.
    edited October 2005
    dont use elbows they kill your flow, just use tygon tubing. it can make very tight turns and if you do notice something starting to kink just put a hose clamp were its kinking and it will hold the tube from colapsing. thats what i did in my shuttle.
  • edited October 2005
    Tony, here's what I'm talking about for restricting flow if you want to run the 2 waterblocks in parallel. I'm not sure if that is the right one for your tubing diameter, but it gives you a general picture of what I'm talking about. It is a full flow ball valve though and won't restrict flow unless you partially close it off.
    edited October 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']dont use elbows they kill your flow, just use tygon tubing. it can make very tight turns and if you do notice something starting to kink just put a hose clamp were its kinking and it will hold the tube from colapsing. thats what i did in my shuttle.

i was lookin at the site for the company that makes the stuff, and they have all kinds. what specifically should i get and where should i get it? fyi, i would like clear tubing since im using UV coolant.
    edited October 2005
    http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=item&id=952&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

i looked around and i cant find tygon anymore, i have used clearflex myself as well and hear that it is made of the same formula. it works just as well. ive bought from voyeurmods and they're a good supplier. one of the cheapest prices as well.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I've had issues with clearflex making my fluid cloudy. I use some tinted pond tubing now that I get at the local aquarium shop and it costs the same.
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I've had issues with clearflex making my fluid cloudy. I use some tinted pond tubing now that I get at the local aquarium shop and it costs the same.
    did you use distilled water? any additives? cuz thats strange i never had problems with clouding except for the time i just put regular tap water in to top off my ssytem when i didnt have any more distilled.
    edited October 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']did you use distilled water? any additives? cuz thats strange i never had problems with clouding except for the time i just put regular tap water in to top off my ssytem when i didnt have any more distilled.
    No I've only used FluidXp ...there's a thread on the subject at procooling I think. I remember the other guy was using fluidxp and clearflex as well. It might just be a combination of those two items that causes the clouding and gumming.
    edited October 2005
    I found the link to the thread ...lots of good debating if you check bigbens links towards the end.
    http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?goto=lastpage&t=12203
    edited November 2005
    ya i see, must be some bad compinations clearflex and that solution, ive never had a problem with bad clouding or goo forming with distilled water in my systems. good to know though. i wont use that stuff then :thumbsup: