Can't Make WMP Default Player On Webpages

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I installed VLC media player recently and now whenever I play files on websites like big-boys.com or spikedhumor.com,it uses VLC media player when I want it to use Windows Media Player.I set Windows Media Player to my default player for every file it can play,but it still uses the VLC player as the default on web pages.I uninstalled VLC and its registry files and I even reinstalled Windows Media Player 10.Now since VLC is uninstalled,it doesn't play at all,but it is trying to use the VLC media player.Can anyone please tell me how I can make Windows Media Player play every .wmv file or any video file on web pages?Thanks in advance...

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Are you using Internet Explorer?

If so, click on Tools>>Manage Add-Ons, then Show: Add-ons that have been used ny Internet Explorer. Disable anything which refers to the VLC player. Leave any which refer to the file wmp.dll (at the end of each line) alone.

If that doesn't work we'll try cleaning your registry out. :)
  • edited October 2005
    I am using FireFox and I uninstalled VLC player already.BTW if I want to clean my registry out,what program that is free should I use?Thanks.
    edited October 2005
    :scratch:

Download RegCleaner and delete all references to VLC from the list. Careful - remove the wrong thing(s) and you'll be sorry. :eek:

If you still have problems, re-open RegCleaner, then click on Tools>>Registry Cleanup>>Do Them All, highlight everything it finds and delete them.
  • edited October 2005
    Before I use this,is there anything I can do and configure my FireFox browser to fix this?,or you don't know.
  • edited October 2005
    And crap.I can't find anything that has to do with VLC in the software section using Regcleaner.Any more help please?
    edited October 2005
    ...is there anything I can do and configure my FireFox browser to fix this?...
    I'm fairly new to Firefox. A look through all the "Options" screens didn't show anything that I could see.
  • edited October 2005
    Crap dude I did the Do them all thing and it still doesn't work...Any other ideas?
    edited October 2005
    See if this helps.
  • edited October 2005
    YAY OMFG I FIXED IT!I just went into the program files and went to the mozilla plugins folder and delted the VLC plugin.Now it uses the WMP plugin.Well i got this idea from the website you gave me so it helped.thanks alot
    edited October 2005
    Glad you got it. :D

I learned a few things too. :thumbsup: