Hard drive not being reconized...

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello,
I got all my parts needed to build my system and started to put them all together. Everything fits and works great however I am having trouble with my hard drive being reconized when I try to install Windows XP Professional. I have a DFI nf4 sli-dr motherboard and a western digital raptor 74GB SATA hard drive. I read that you need to use the floppy given with the mobo to install the harddrive because windows xp does not support SATA however when I use the floppy disk given and install all that is required it is still not being reconized..please help

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Storm,

The SATA drivers need to be installed at the START of (actually, just before) XP install- otherwise, XP doesn't see it. You need to use a floppy or the installation CD because it reconfigures your disk setup.

You should also check to see if your BIOS is set up to do so- check your mobo documentation.

You should have a floppy disk with the driver files for your SATA RAID controller on it. If it wasn't supplied with your mobo, you can make one up- probably with files from your mobo CD. You can also make a slipstream version of your XP install disk but that is more involved (there are lots of online procedures to do this), but I'll leave that one up to you. For this we'll go with the tried and true floppy install.

0. Make sure you have done all the back-ups you need to if applicable.
    1. Set your mobo to boot from your install CD drive.
    2. Put the driver floppy into your floppy drive.
    3. At the VERY beginning of boot right after POST, you should see a prompt to press F6 to install drivers. Do so.
    4. Follow directions- you should only have your SATA RAID drivers to do.

Once these drivers are installed, XP can finally see the drives to install on.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup: