Another Reason To Fold?

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited October 2005 in Folding@Home
I was over at the Folding-community.org Forum trying to find some information on a totally unrelated topic when I came across this little bit of info:
robble wrote:
on 8/27/05 my laptop was stolen from work. I had FAH setup to automatically start with each boot. On my stats page I noticed the last work unit was completed on 9/1/05.
Is there anyway to get the IP the computer sent the WU from?
Can I even track down my computer using the IP?

This may be my only hope of ever finding it again!

Thanks!
Ivoshiee wrote:
You can get this information from the Pande Group, but let the police to contact them about it:
http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Stolen_computer_%26_FAH

This could be a nice little added benefit of F@H, but you would probably have to act quickly. If a thief has any sense at all he's going to format the drive soon after stealing the machine.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    That’s cool! and to that point, I have a program I created that runs in the background of all my computer builds, all it does is track the computer and tell me if the person has unplugged any components in the computer. I can track this over the net as the info is sent to a database online; I can also query it at a moments notice” if the computer is online”. Before I install it I always make my clients sign off on it, as it is under my warranty coverage... It also can tell me if basic items have failed on that tower Hard drives, Ram etc.. It runs as if it was an uber scaled down version of note pad! & use’s next to no memory and or CPU time , also all the data it collects is non personal data, But it does pull the information I need to find where that IP address is hosted at, But I could only do that if I went to authorities. But it is a good backup plan. Most computer guys will never see the program. I even had a good IT guy try to find it… I had to give him a few hints 

So I guess I can say I try to keep myself covered, but you can never be too safe.

I know a guy also who puts in what he calls the floppy of death, He put in his towers at night, if someone stole the tower and tried to boot it up, It would wipe the entire system, HD, System bios, everything… I have no idea how he does it, but it is a cool trick, I always wonder how many times he has forgotten to take the disk out…..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    www.killdisk.com is probably how he does it (or something like it, such as blancco, etc.)

:)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Great news... and it makes sence that F@H would be a good way to track a system down.