SCSI question

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I found a pair of Seagate Cheetah 10k.7 18GB drives for very cheap and was wondering how much they go for as I couldnt find them anywhere else. Also I was wondering if two of these drives would be a better choice than the WD Raptor? I've been told that performance on a SCSI drive can vary depending how you set it up? :confused:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    I wouldn't recommend SCSI drives for the average computer user. You'll need a U160/U320 controller card, and expensive 68-pin cables. Windows XP also has some issues with SCSI and write caching, which negatively impacts performance. You'll need dig up some patches to address this (non microsoft).

A lot of older 10K RPM SCSI drives actually perform worse than today's 7200rpm drives, and you'll need to get the newer revision drives for it to be worth while. I have owned some Maxtor Atlas 10KIV drives that were very fast compared to my raptors (about 25% better STR), but they got very hot, and needed some active cooling for reliable operation. I've also owned a pair of Maxtor Atlas 10KII's which perform worse than just about any modern 7200rpm IDE/SATA drive, and were noisy and also got very hot.

How much were they offering the Seagate drives for?
  • edited October 2005
    25 dollars a piece
    edited October 2005
    acidturn wrote:
    25 dollars a piece

Thats a pretty decent price for those drives, even if they are older 10k models. Do you have a SCSI controller/cables? If not, they will likely set you back another $50 for a decent card.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend SCSI drives for the average computer user. You'll need a U160/U320 controller card, and expensive 68-pin cables. Windows XP also has some issues with SCSI and write caching, which negatively impacts performance. You'll need dig up some patches to address this (non microsoft).

A lot of older 10K RPM SCSI drives actually perform worse than today's 7200rpm drives, and you'll need to get the newer revision drives for it to be worth while. I have owned some Maxtor Atlas 10KIV drives that were very fast compared to my raptors (about 25% better STR), but they got very hot, and needed some active cooling for reliable operation. I've also owned a pair of Maxtor Atlas 10KII's which perform worse than just about any modern 7200rpm IDE/SATA drive, and were noisy and also got very hot.

How much were they offering the Seagate drives for?

The XP patchs are from microsoft. Its their own diskcache utility that fixs the speed probs.... And thats really weird as I have owned over a dozen Atlas 10k IV's (still own four) and they were all 100 percent reliable with no additional cooling. Those are not considered warm or noisy drives.

Tex
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    The XP patchs are from microsoft. Its their own diskcache utility that fixs the speed probs.... And thats really weird as I have owned over a dozen Atlas 10k IV's (still own four) and they were all 100 percent reliable with no additional cooling. Those are not considered warm or noisy drives.

Tex

Oh cool, I remember I had used some 3rd party patch that did the trick for me. IIRC, MS did not release anything to address it at that time, or I couldn't download it for some reason.

Never had any reliability issues with the 10KIV's either, they were very quiet drives. I did find that they got hot though. The 10KII's I owned were another story, very noisy drives IMO.. :)