Need advice on graphics card

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Im plannin on buying a new graphics card so i can play battle field 2 and F.E.A.R, right know i have and nvidia FeForce 5500, I have tried demos for both games but they barely run on the lowest settings,so im looking for a card that would run them,i'm not really a serious pc gamer but i still want a card that will last for a while before i have to get another one, I tought about gettin a nvidia 7800 but dunno if theres anything better out there

Comments

• edited October 2005
    I'm running an AGP 6800GT. My machine is practically at the end of its upgradable life and it runs FEAR, BF2, Black & White 2 and the COD2 well and with medium to high settings. (damn, thats a lot of sequals)

Whats the rest of your system look like? A graphics card may not be all you need to upgrade to run the latest and greatest...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    I'm running an ATI x800XL 256mb AGP and it runs both games great. The more ram you have in the pc, the better it is especially for F.E.A.R. I noticed a big difference when i bought another gig of ram. Just make sure you have at least a gig or 1.5 gigs of ram if you want to run those games on high.

I have an amd 64 3200+, only 768mb's of ram now cause i sold that gig stick to a friend, and a k8v se deluxe mobo which isnt too bad. I can play most games with high settings on my current setup.

The x800xl is cheaper than the 68000 gt, yet the perform about the same. check on newegg for the prices, but when i bought mine in late june it was $300.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    The 7800GTX is the best you can get "that's avaiilable" on the market, but a 6800GT would do you fione if your not heading for top dog stuff... I run allot of 6600's with Fear on High settings but my rigs have 2 gigs of ram. so they pan out, RaM is a big factor in games these days...
  • edited October 2005
    yea i was thinking about gettin some ram too right know i have 512 so iwas thinking about getting another gig also, i dont really care about running the games on high settings i just want to play them, i might go with the 6800 gt