monitor and muse problems

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Please help!
I am at a loss as to what is up with my pc.
It was working fine until the past 10 days or so, then my pc started making a bleeping noise for a split second - the screen froze for around 2 seconds then continued as normal, this happened around every 10 minutes or so. Yesterday i have come home from work and assummed that my pc was frozen as it had been on all day and i couldnt move the mouse. I shut my pc down and tried to re-start it but the mouse was still stuck, i cleaned teh mouse and tried again - this time my monitor would not start i just got a flashing light as my pc was on stand-by. The pc monitor wouldnt start although the pc seemed to sound and llk like it had booted successfully. I have checked the monitor and mouse on another pc adn they work fine - plugge dthem back into my pc and i am still getting the same problem, I managed to get the screen on once out of around 15 attempts but the mouse would not work. Has anyone any ideas as to what can be the issue cannot posta log as i cannot use the pc, i am just looking for ideas before i hnd it over to a pc repair shop and pay stupid amounts of money for something i can maybe fix /
i have posted in here as i am convinced if the monitor\mouse work on another pc that maybe it is some sort of virus.

Comments

• edited October 2005
    That sounds more like a hardware problem than a software or virus problem to me. How old is your computer and is it a white box or homebuilt machine or is it a major brand like Dell or HP? If it's more than 2-3 years old, then you might have faulty capacitors on the motherboard and they've finally gone out.
  • edited October 2005
    the pc itself is not even 12 months old - although the monitor is older -so naturally i thought it was the monitor.
    It was built for us by a man that supplies to quite a lot of businesses round here and came very highly recommended. i have tried to call him but he is on holiay fo 3 weeksr
  • edited October 2005
    Have you tried taking the case side off and checking to see if it's clogged with dust yet? Without any more details of the internals, it is hard to guess at what could be the problem. But like I stated, it sounds more hardware related than software (to me at least). And depending on the motherboard make and quality, it could still be a capacitor problem. One of the owners of this forum bought a Mac less than a year ago and he already had to send it in for repair due to swollen, leaky capacitors. The beeping every 10 minutes or so kind of makes me lean towards a capacitor problem; I had a system start that around 3 years or so ago and it wasn't long after that when the system wouldn't boot due to bad capacitors. And that motherboard was less than a year old too.