BSODs, again.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I had a thread in Emergency about BSODs. They just stopped but yesterday I got a few again. The error says MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. All my research into this error say it is due to the CPU overheating. A few months ago I got a new case, a ThermalTake Kandalf, which has 4 fans and is much cooler than the case it replaced (I didn't have this error with the old case!) I installed MBM5 and it says the case is at 41 degrees and the CPU is at 60, the BIOS reports the same temps. There is no way the case is at 41 and the CPU heatsink is only a little warm.
Any ideas guys?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2005
    I have updated the BIOS, I have reseated the CPU and cleaned out the heatsink, it wasn't very fluffy anyhow. All fans are running fine. Temps with the side off are CPU 53 case 33. The side has been back on 10 ins and temps are CPU 59 case 38. What is going on? I thought this case was designed with cooling in mind.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    After looking up that case and reading several reviews I started wishing I could buy one for myself, then I came back to your problem and wondered if the reviewers were talking about the same case at all. Talk about being confused. :scratch:

I'd agree that it seems unlikely that your temps could actually be that high in that case. What MB and BIOS do you have? Some boards are known for being way off in their temp reporting, even after BIOS "fixes".

Just for kicks, you might give SpeedFan a try and see if it says anything different.

I found this picture, is this the way your fans are configured?
  • edited October 2005
    The temp drop you are seeing with the case side off is telling you that airflow sucks around the cpu/mobo heat sensor diode area, bothered. Do you have any long AGP or pci cards that could obstruct airflow perhaps? Also, like prof said, are your fans moving the air in the directions indicated in the pic he attached?

EDIT: I just went to Thermaltake's web page for your new case and 1 thing that jumped out at me was the low sound ratings for the case fans. I also imagine they don't blow much more air than a mouse farting too. Get some fans with decent airflow and change out at least those pathetic 120 mm fans. Your system will love you for it. If possible, borrow a few fans from some of your UK bretheren before you buy the replacement fans to make sure this will cure your problem, but I'm betting that lack of decent airflow into and out of your case is keeping the internals too hot.
    edited October 2005
    Prof, yes that is how the fans are working. There is quite a lot of suction at the front and it blows out a lot of air from the back, the fan at the top doesn't do much though. I am going to get another 120 fan for the front so I'll see what that does. The case does have much better air flow than the case it replaced so I don't understand why the temp should be 20 degrees higher than ambiant, it doesn't make sense. The motherboard is an NF7s v2, XP3200+CPU. I'll try speedfan but the bios temps agree with MBM5 so if the sensors are reading wrong I'd expect the same results.
    Edit, yup, same temps?
    edited October 2005
    Funny what you turn up when you go googling. :p

It's an old thread, but there seemed to be a variety of suggestions which may be useful to you. :)
    edited October 2005
    Cheers all. I don't believe the temp readings I have, I think they're miles out. I just installed ABITEQ, according to that the case is at 55 and the CPU is running at 208 degrees C. I think not!
    I think I'll pop down to Micro direct and buy a couple of fans anyway, can't hurt?
    The problem is that although 60 degrees is rather warm I don't know if it's warm enough to cause this prob. The case isn't at 40 degrees so I don't think the CPU is at 60 either. The case is breathing like an olympic runner in a 22 degree room. What I don't know is, is the error coming from the CPU or from the system monitoring the temps? The error suggests overheating but I don't think anything is.
    Strange.
    edited October 2005
    Just curious, but any improvement with the new fans? :)
    edited October 2005
    Yeah thanks prof, I only went to the small local shop and they only had a generic fan, but it does spin faster and at less than £3 I thought I'd try it. Temps are now stable at CPU 53 and case 33. No more BSODs. :thumbsup: