SMx Stats - Finally not really slow again

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
After a long time of getting my ass kicked by the sysadmins for doing things I shouldn't have been doing, my bandwidth has returned from 28.8 kbps. The stats are now back up again. I will be replacing some parts in the server, and re-installing the OS to a smaller drive (probably this weekend), so it may be down for a while then.

Also on an extremely related note, if anyone is interested, i have several (now completely blank) hard drives for sale (2x200, 1x160, 1x80).

To avoid such outages in the future, I will be working on a version that can be easily moved to a much more reliable server. (I'm also graduating in february, so after that, I have no idea how long it will be before I return to having fast intarwebnet.)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Thanks for the update, shwaip. :)

We intend to keep you busy adding new names to the list of SMx Rigs, though. :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It's automated ;)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    always liked your stats page shwaip, keep up the great work..

side note:....damn SM10 and SM27 are kickin muh ass in weekly production:mad:...what the hell you guys got under those hoods?...a mini-farm ;D
    edited November 2005
    I didn't actually get done what I wanted to when I said I would be working on it. The computer will be down indefinitely this weekend. My senior project group and I need to assemble a computer to house a $16k board. The SMx stats server will be moved to an older box so we can have a better PC for the board. I hope we don't break it ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Is that what I think it is???????
    edited November 2005
    I highly doubt it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    I highly doubt it.

Quit holding out on us and tell us what it is. :p
    edited November 2005
    It's a PCI board. Duh.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Lol~!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    im gonna guess and say that its fiber transceiver., and i also bet that its somewhere in the depths of this page. link
    edited November 2005
    tu du da duh!!! I think i found it!!!!http://www.ni.com/labview/ but what does it do"?
    edited November 2005
    not fibre. LabVIEW is NI's software for simulating designs/creating digital signal processing "circuits" (for lack of a better word I can think of right now).
    edited November 2005
    looks like it has an ide bus on it..come on, whats it do and whats it for?
    edited November 2005
    I guess I'll stop being an attention whore now.

I'm actually not sure exactly what the rows of pins are for (the ones that look like an IDE cable). We haven't actually received the documentation yet, only the board.

The board itself is a PCI interface for an FPGA designed for Real-Time IO. The chip labelled Virtex-II pro is the Xilinx FPGA with two PowerPC cores on it. The four larger plugs on the outside are ADC/DAC in/out puts.

LabVIEW will be used as the UI so that we can see what's actually going on.

I'm not sure I can discuss exactly what we're using it for, but it involves RFID tags and a lot of DSP.
    edited November 2005
    hmm, that was vague enough to be really foggy about what it does, but not to much as to not say anyhting at all. you would make a good politician.

you say, 2 power pc cores. so thats like a computer on a board minus the memory?? thats wierd. or is that memory under the heatsink looking thing.

so your going to be developing rfid tags? they arent ever gonna chip me.

i heard that walmart is going to get rid of all its scanners and checkout lanes, and have an rfid scanner over the door. and you just walk out the door and all the merch is charged to your account. but i dont know if i like that. they can track that merch all through the store, and whos to say that they cant track you after you leave, even if they say they do disable the tag.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    but can it fold? :buck:
    edited November 2005
    so your going to be developing rfid tags? they arent ever gonna chip me.

The Man can chip me, but only if the chip folds. :D
    edited November 2005
    hmmm...i dont know, its only the size of a tick..maybe 1 fold per month...
    edited November 2005
    hmmm...i dont know, its only the size of a tick..maybe 1 fold per month...
    Until I overclock it. But then it'd probly burn a hole through my skin...
    edited November 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Until I overclock it. But then it'd probly burn a whole through my skin...

ahahahh haha hahah hahah hhahah hhahahahah ahh hah hah hah ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D