Fried CPU Still in warrenty????? Intel...

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Ok so heres my ****ty situation

i was swappen hsf on my 3.2 pressy and somehow when i got it all put back together my comp wont go to post or anything

the hsf was a zalman 9500 cnps btw and it is uber tite

anyways the cpu is only a good 3 months old
however i dont have the original box or hsf for it... so i need to know wether it is still under warrenty and what i should say if i can rma it

plz i really need some help here

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005

i was swappen hsf on my 3.2 pressy and somehow when i got it all put back together my comp wont go to post or anything

however i dont have the original box or hsf for it... so i need to know wether it is still under warrenty and what i should say if i can rma it

Actually, I'm wondering if your CPU is fried or your motherboard or power supply. Do you have fans? Did you review your set-up for connections, etc? How are you sure it is your CPU?

As far as the Intel warranty- I'll let someone else handle that. I'm just not convinced you need to go there yet.
  • edited October 2005
    Everything powers up
    fans lights hard drives cd drives

i tried putting the cpu in another computer and still got nothing
    i tried putting the cpu from the other computer into mine and still got nothing

anyways thats basically what i have to deal with at this point
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005

Requirements for intel RMA
    *RETAIL BOX
    *Stock Heatsink
    *CPU

If any of these are missing you cannot rma it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    ...i tried putting the cpu in another computer and still got nothing
    i tried putting the cpu from the other computer into mine and still got nothing...
    You obviously have more going on than just a cooked CPU (asuming that's the case at all) or the second CPU would fire right up.

Try the cpu from the "other computer" in your system, but reset the BIOS first.

When you swapped the HSF did you have to remove the MB? If so, take it back out of the case, lay it on a piece of cardboard, then try stuff outside the case. You may have shorted something out when you reinstalled it before.

Perhaps a dumb question, but when things first went wrong did you see smoke or notice a burning smell? A truly fried CPU often puts on quite a show, leaving no doubt that it's a goner. :eek: