quake 4 and my cpu and graphics card

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Quake 4 rapes my pc i mean rapes it

I havea 6600gt with 1 gig of ram and a 3800+ X2 dual core cpu

Anyone know of any tweaks for the vid ?

I know quake 3 utilized the dual cpu is there a way to make quake 4 use them?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Don't have much of a detailed answer for you, but I've heard that some people are turning down the detail quite a bit from the default values, especially in multiplayer.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited October 2005
    I know whaat you mean. My mobile barton at 2.3ghz and my 9800pro get pwnt by quake4. i usually get 30 fps at 1024*768 with 2xAF on. Medium settings as well.
    If you have soft shadows enabled I would disable it becasue that taxes the crap out of a gpu. As for optimized dual support I'm not too sure about this becasue it doesn't mention it in the read me file or the manual. I'm sure that if it doesn't support dual processing it will in a future patch release.
    In the mean time you can save your pennies and pray that the high end gfx cards have a dramatic price drop. Thats what I'm waiting for anyways :) (might be wishfull thinking though)
    You can aslo turn down the bump mapping level (of course the game won't look so good but sometimes you just need it to perform. Just play with the advanced settings in the game until you find something you like. (I had to do this).Good luck.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2005
    wierd. I run mine at 1024x768 on medium. Its the non lappy rig in my sig. Mine chokes at higher res too... i rarely drops below 30 fps at those settings.

What resolution you running it at?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    1280 x 1024 i think its my LCD holding it back, I might be going back to a CRT soon
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    It is supposed to be based on the Doom 3 engine. IF it is anything like Quake 3, they may have graphic "features' like dynamic glow , etc. that gave me more headaches than marvel and were FPS slobs. I'd look for this kind of feature and kill it- it should run like D3 then and you should be able to run it at your favorite D3 settings. If you find something, post it- I think we may have the game in house soon enough. Thanks.

But, of course, this assumes you have D3 ... and D3 is its own resource pig.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Your LCD isn't the problem. It's a configuration issue.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    there just so happens to be a weekend sale of xfx 7800 gt's at the egg ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150108
    $299 after $40 mail in rebate. That's $50 off what they were yesterday.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    ahh i got it working by disabling the soft shadow, man that kicks the pc's a$$