Can't get my external USB 2.0 HD to recongnize properly

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

Not sure I am posting this to the right forum as I have only used the Virus's forum before. If I am not where I should be, please let me know where to post this question.

Anyway, I had an almost new Seagate 120GB ATA hard drive that I had taken out of another computer lying around so I thought I would buy an external enclosure and use it for a backup of my primary machine.

I bought a BYTECC ME740U2 from Newegg, but can't seem to make it work.

Basic problem is I can't get the USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device to properly recognize without doing some really crazy things.

I have found that if I disconnect the drive from the enclosure, and then turn on the enclosure, I can get the computer to find the device, and then load the Mass Storage controller (I think I am using the right words... go with me if I'm not :) ) If I then hook the drive to the enclosure, let the drive power up, and then uninstall the mass storage device, I can use the Find new hardware wizzard to refind the device, load the controller, and then find and load the disk drive driver. Everything will work just fine then, as long as I keep the enclosure on (even if I shut off the computer). But if I shut off the enclosure, when I turn it back on (regardless of whether it is before or after I turn on the computer) I am back to square one, as it only recognizes the devices as an "unknown device" in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of the device manager, and I can't uminstall and then find new hardware and make it work?

Anybody have ideas on what may be going on???

Thanks.

brisney

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    brisney wrote:
    I have found that if I disconnect the drive from the enclosure, and then turn on the enclosure, I can get the computer to find the device, and then load the Mass Storage controller (I think I am using the right words... go with me if I'm not :) ) If I then hook the drive to the enclosure, let the drive power up, and then uninstall the mass storage device, I can use the Find new hardware wizzard to refind the device, load the controller, and then find and load the disk drive driver. Everything will work just fine then, as long as I keep the enclosure on (even if I shut off the computer). But if I shut off the enclosure, when I turn it back on (regardless of whether it is before or after I turn on the computer) I am back to square one, as it only recognizes the devices as an "unknown device" in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of the device manager, and I can't uminstall and then find new hardware and make it work?
    Hi Brisney,

I think you're OK where you are- but moderators may move it if they feel your thread is more relevant in another sub-forum and they'll leave a link so you're not wondering where it went :)

Ok, what OS and SP/revision are you using (if XP- Home, Pro ...?). What PC, motherboard, etc?

My suspicion is that either you do not have the proper drivers installed or the drive enclosure needs a firmware update. Here are my suggestions-

Power up your PC so it sees the drive. Run Windows Update using the Custom update button. Select whatever High Priority(#) and/or Hardware, Optional(#) items it gives you and install them.

Sometimes these enclosures come with a disk- see if there are any drivers or set-up utilities on it. If not, you might go to BYTECC Support and download the driver from there.

I would also make sure all my motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers are updated too.

Do not trust the Hardware wizard all the time to install things. Many times manufacturers have a preferred method. If you have that CD, there may be a manual on how to do this- but most times they have their own install utility.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    Hi, and thanks for the advice.

I had already run the disk that came with the enclosure, and that didn't work, but your suggestion to update the BIOS seems to have worked. So far so good.

Thanks a bunch for helping me. Short-Media is now 2 for 2 with my problems (you guys fixed a virus problem that nobody else was able to a while back).

Thanks again.

brisney