Please help me get another folding box running

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Today I picked up a neat little system at the dump, it was like the size of a laptop from a few years ago (not one of the ½ inch thick ones they have now) and was running WinME and had a 5GB Hard Drive, 633MHz Celeron procesor, and 64MB PC100 RAM. I brought it home, went to boot it up, and the only thing that turned on was the PSU. I started disconnecting everything, starting with the CD drive and floppy drive, when I noticed that the hard drive's power cable wasn't even plugged in! I plugged it in, hit the 'on' button again, and the hard drive booted up.

Then I connected my monitor, and the screen was blank, as if the computer was off. I rebooted, still blank. I've tried a bunch of times since I brought it home this afternoon, but nothing has helped. I also tried connecting another graphics card and using that, still a blank monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I told my friend who is looking for parts for his family's computers that if I didn't get it fixed by tomorrow morning I'd give it to him, so it's either going to be a folding machine or it's going to a 10 year old.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Can you describe the hardware in more detail?

I'd start by resetting the BIOS and see where that gets you. You might want to try taking everything apart then putting it all back together. Clean the contacts on all the cards and the RAM when you do that.

Good luck!
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited October 2005
    I already reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, still does the same thing. I also took everthing apart and put it back together. I asked people on MSN and they said the mobo was dead. I'm just going to give it to my friend, 633MHz wouldn't be too much folding power anyways.