Dudes, Picked up the Netgear WPN824

gtghmgtghm New
edited February 2010 in Science & Tech
Wow, I'd have to say just in my initial opinion it fricken rocks... :thumbsup:

Config was a snap, but I am definatly impressed with the new MIMO technology. I have the best receiption in my normal spot in my house and the throughput is awsome.

I was using a Linksys WRT54G V2 with the addon 7db antennas plus a home made reflector on one of the Dipols, that usually got me a consistant 36meg but usually throttled way down to 1 or 2 after a while.

Since I connected this WPN824 I've been in the excelent connect range and probably average of 48meg.

Everything was detected on my network the first time, I didn't see where i could change the channel for the adaptor but I think there must be a way to do it, I can click on it and it drops a box down but the only number that it has is a 6, normaly I find all 11 channels there.

All in all I am impressed so far.

"g"

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    i used to sell em left and right at Best buy, Fact is reception gets better the farther u are ( withing a certain degree )
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    If you flash the wrt54g with hacked firmware you can make the transmission power 4X stronger then it is stock.

Also Isn't that the netgear that block port 80 :(.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    If you flash the wrt54g with hacked firmware you can make the transmission power 4X stronger then it is stock.

Also Isn't that the netgear that block port 80 :(.

I know I was using the hack and had it set to 67% because I found that using 100% had no effect. After I figured tht out I realized that running it at 100% full time ws causing it to heat up I knew that it would not run that way for long so I just kept it at 67%, and actually something did happen to the unit because I was having major issues all week and thought it was my connection, which it kinda was but since I bought this new router and switched back to my old cable connection my net and computer both have been running awsome.

For the time being I have both a working cable connection and QWEST DSL (supposed to be the 7meg), well at first I had a pretty good connection running about 5.6 DN and 788up but the DSL modem would flake out and it would start trying to look for 1.0.0.0 and then not even connect. then I didn't supect my router at all but today I was tracing the problem and found that even on my good cable connection I was getting dropped from both my wireless and LAN connection, I tried several flashes to both firmware from Linksys and the hack firmware and still got the same results, thus the new router... and installing the new router on my good cable conection stabilzied everything out and my connection is awsome. I then swung the new router over to my DSL and it connected but DNL speeds were averaing just a little over 56K it was crap, so something happened to the DSL and I got to get them to fix it...

As for the port 80 thing I don't know, it doesn't seem to be a port that is important to me?

This router sems to do all the same things that my linksys did except this new ones coverage is absoultly the best that I have ever seen...

"g"
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    I wouldn't suggest this to anyone. It'll burn it out quicker than you can say, "Oh, FAST!" Seriously.

Also, I highly un-recommend a Motorola router. They're just plain bad.
  • edited February 2010
    What was the software called to hack the netgear router. I have one and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Joe

:)