Help ATI Radeon X800GTO 256MB

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I don’t know if is the card or any other component in my pc but here is my problem. I have a connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO 256MB and after playing a few hour of a black and white 2 at max res. I lose the video signal, I know this pc keeps on working because I can use the shortcuts to save and close the game and safely turn off the pc. Now my friends told me the problems maybe either the card is not getting enough power or is getting overheated and shuts off. So now the card has its own power cord nothing else connected with it and the side fan throws the air right at it, and the thing keeps on happening. Any one has any idea what's the matter with my machine. Just in case is not the card here are some of my spec:

Aspire X-Dreamer Case
ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Processor
1Gb (2x512 Mb) Corsair DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Memory
ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 500W PSU
connect3D ATI Radeon X800GTO 256MB Video Card

the rest I don’t think they matter. I don’t know what is causing the problem and I rather fix it myself than return the card. The problem only happened while playing B&W 2 it hasn't happened any other time.

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    first off, do you know what your temps are when the video stops working? Download ATI Tool and monitor your temps.

Secondly, it could possibly be driver problems. Are you using the newest 5.10 drivers?
  • edited October 2005
    I downloaded the drivers and the tool just now also added two front fans to the case I'm gonna try tonight see what happens wish me luck :D
    edited October 2005
    awesome I sure hope that fixes it for you. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Nope it keeps reseting, now what it does is resets to a lower res from 1024x768 to 800x600 and then resets windows is a real pain Im out of ideas here
    games played: doom 3, the sims 2, and gtsa it only resets in games it works ok in other applications.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    So its not just B&W2, other games as well?

Those GTO/2 model X800's are R480 based ATI cores, and do use quite a bit of power.

I'd lean more towards a power issue as well. I looked up your specific model of PSU, and saw a few mixed reviews online. Its a dual-rail +12V PSU, however I question it's quality. First thing, check your voltage rails to ensure they are all withing +/- 5% of the rated voltage. +12V, +5V and +3.3V. Since you have an asus mainboard, use Asus PC Probe to get the voltage readings. If they are fluctuating or too low/high, that could very well be the source of your problem.

Do you have a spare power supply you could test with?
    edited October 2005
    i might be wrong, but I think the more amps the PSU has on the 12v+ rail has, the better.
  • edited October 2005
    I just used PC Prove II and these are the reading of voltage I got:

the +3.3v I get 3.36v~3.38v
    the +5v I get 5.15v
    the +12v I get 12.25~12.30v
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Ah yes, but what are the voltages when the system gets hot. Can you set it to log voltages and temps?
    It may be the PSU getting hot and giving out on you.
    Or, it could be the vidcard.

Does it happen in all games?
    What if you set it to loop a video benchmark? You don't have any other applications that tax the system, that's why they work.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    i might be wrong, but I think the more amps the PSU has on the 12v+ rail has, the better.
    You are correct, sir. :)

The 3.3V and 5V rails are important, too.
    Andro wrote:
    I just used PC Prove II and these are the reading of voltage I got:

the +3.3v I get 3.36v~3.38v
    the +5v I get 5.15v
    the +12v I get 12.25~12.30v
    The specs for your ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply are as follows:
    +3.3V@17A, +5V@25A, +12V1@16A, +12V2@18A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A
    Note: The bold area shows two separate 12V rails, totalling 34A. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Called the ATI and they told me to update the bios for the mobo but still the card keeps on giving me the same problem, is to late to call them again going to try again tomorow. the voltage is fine the coolling is fine it has the latest drivers and it does the same flick/reset/look-up in all the games I tryed. Fable, Doom 3, The Sims 2 and B&W 2 Fable is the only that lasted a little longer, but troughout the game you can see flicks until the cards just shuts off and i get the .
    This is the message that I got from the event viewer

The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Any other advise??????
    edited October 2005
    ok I googled that error message and found that its probably a problem with the display driver or the video hardware itself. tomorrow you might ask them about an RMA if you've tried everything else they tell you to do.
    A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.
    also - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

I also found a link to this forum and was instructed to search for "infinite loop". Amazing how many other people have posted about this- http://forums.viaarena.com/searchresults.aspx
  • edited October 2005
    Ok tryed and this is what I get now

"Sorry didnt cut it"
  • edited November 2005
    Well I finnally got my new card it works fine thanks guys for ur help, i guess i got the bad one out of the bunch :( sucks i got a refund then had to w8 for a couple of days for them to have them back on stock and had to pay again for the shipping but hey i can't complain, currently unlocked to 16pipelines and running it at 510/525 not bad for a $190.00 card
    edited November 2005
    Cool glad you got it working now :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    ty dude u helped a lot