Access 2003 data access page

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited October 2005 in Internet & Media
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes...

I'm creating a database to log support calls, the way I have it set up is there's a data access page (a web page basically) which allows users to log calls online, then the support staff have access to a database form where they can update the call as they make progress with it. Everything's working fine, but I'm having real problems with one thing. I want the database to email the support staff when a new call is logged. I can do this from a form (using a command line Email program and some Visual basic shennanigans) but I can't figure out how to do this from the data access page. Any Access web gurus want to give me some hints?

Comments

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You're not going to like my answer, but it's the truth. For what you want to create, don't use Access. Access is a slow database and it's usability is limited. You'd be much better off setting up a small server with PHP and MySQL for the type of things you want to do. They'll also be easier to program. Also, PHP and MySQL (and Apache for the web server) are free!

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your endeavour.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2005
    Hmmm, well cheers for the advice, usually I'd agree but there's some mitigating factors at play:

We already have Access 2003 licenses, plenty of them.

Performance isn't an issue, there's just 3 Helpdesk staff supporting 100 or so users.

Usability-wise, Access does do everything I want, I just can't figure out how to do this one thing.

Thanks again for the response though :)