ATI Radeon X1800 XT Breaks 1GHz Speed Barrier

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
Yahoo! Finance is reporting that a team of Finnish overclockers has successfully overclocked a Radeon X1800 XT to speeds upwards of 1 GHz.

Noted Finnish over-clockers Sampsa Kurri and Ville Suvanto achieved graphics engine clocks of 1.003 GHz and a memory speed of 1.881 GHz (940.50 MHz DDR (dual data-rate) memory clocks) with maximum system stability and no visual artifacts.
The team, optimistic that higher speeds could ultimately be achieved with the Radeon X1800 XT, attained the record speeds using a custom-built liquid nitrogen cooling system that cooled the graphics processor to minus-80 degrees Celsius. "We're just warming up," joked Kurri. "But we believe that the Radeon X1800 XT has even more over-clocking headroom, and in the coming weeks we expect to achieve higher clock speeds and even greater performance levels."
Source: Yahoo! Finance

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Where are the things that matter most? BENCHMARKS!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    What the hell does that have to do with finance? lol
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I think that is something only the SHADOW knows
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Gota love that fudo it can do so much more then ati lets it :).
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    i was wondering that too haha
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It's because the gpu has hit the mythical 1ghz mark, which is an amazing marketing statement. Even if it is not official. Remember the Athlon? :D
    edited October 2005
    Bar the artifacting in 2D... don't expect it to even think about 3D...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    That's what I was wondering, too. Looks like ATI made a press release talking about how awesome they are (meaning everybody should invest in them), because somebody else froze their card and overclocked the bejeebus out of it.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    maximum system stability and no visual artifacts.

No artifacts Enverex ;p
    edited October 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    No artifacts Enverex ;p

I was refering to Prof's post, look:

ghz.png

If it errors out at that smaller increase, I don't think the board is actually going to be able to perform properly in the "Finance" article.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    In the above image, the memory is running higher than specified in the ATI PR announcement. Apparently the card is artifact free with slightly lower memory clocks (2D only of course, which is rather useless unless they plan on playing the original wolf3d). 2000MHz DDR is awfully high. He actually posts some 3D benchable settings later on in the xtremesystems thread. Looks like the maximum 3D benchable clock is around 860MHz core..