Nigerian Arrested for Banning 419 Scams in Cyber Cafe

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
The Register is reporting on a Nigerian cyber cafe owner who was recently arrested for attempting to ban a 419 scammer from operating on his premises.

Although the Nigerian government claims they are cracking down on 419 scams in its country, there are many posts on this Nigerian bulletin board that claim the local police are much more interested in accepting pay-offs from the 419ers than stopping them.
So when cyber-cafe owner Bani took issue with a local scammer, the fraudster was able to turn to the police for help and it was the cafe owner who ended up getting his collar felt. Bani, the cyber-cafe owner, writes: "I had a case with a customer who was into '419' for excessive spamming since my ISP had mailed me his email account details, and do you know the guy had the guts to call the police because he settles them regularly and they actually arrested me for trying to throw the guy out of the cafe."
Source: The Register

Comments

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited October 2005
    :eek:

wow, hopefully this gets publicized enough that the government does something about it.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited October 2005
    wtf.