HP Laptop Won't Fully Boot

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I am having somewhat of a similar problem but i do not know what might have happened... the pc was working fine and then one day i turned it on and nothing happened... it powers up but then the HD light stays on and i get nothing on the screen... the screen powers up and then turns off (no signal?). i have tried plugging another monitor that i know works and same thing. plz help me as i have tried pretty much everything that i know and nothing works...

the pc is a HP Pavilion 6553

i have taken out the battery, made sure that everything was seated right, tried another HD on it, booted without the HD, etc... still nothing.

thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited October 2005
    aha its a laptop. Hp mmmmmm i only know a lot about toshibas. You could try this but it may not apply to your laptop: remove battery and leave unit for 3 minutes, leave battery out and hold the power button for 130 seconds.... Replace battery and reboot. load default bios settings. The procedure above works in most laptops as the equivalent to a bios reset. Good luck :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    alexdcd, if that reply was for me, i am trying to fix a desktop pc...
    :)

i am also trying to fix an e-machine with similar symptoms...
    edited October 2005
    It appears that for the laptop you have, the bios can go awol from time to time but it cant cause too many problems. It usually happens when you install new hardware or reformat and reinstall windows. I cant pin it down exactly!. I did two minutes of googling and i might have found the answer. Equip yourself with some small screwdrivers. You need to remove the CMOS battery this battery is button sized. It could be undr your keyboard or accessible via the base panel. Either method you will still need to remove the main battery. Remove the battery and keep the disassembled laptop some where safe. Be sure not to touch both contacts at a time on the battery.Leave the laptop overnight and then replace the CMOS battery and the main battery and boot. Load default bios setting s and you should be able to boot windows
    Good luck :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    its sounds like a laptop lol. So you have removed the cmos battery before?
    edited October 2005
    Check the RAM make sure the speaker is plugged in, try a different ide cable. these are usally the most common problems. I have setup a compaq workstation in the past and i know that hp and compaq use identical shells and bios. There may be a yellow cmos reset on the motherboard
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    ninja778 - I split your problem off into a thread of its own since it's very confusing to try and help two different people at once.

Good luck. :)