Whats the hottest an old Athlon should get?

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Well, im trying to fix a machien right now, and it has one of those old Pentium 2 style "SNES cartridge" processors, it gots a HSF on the side of it, but itsnt really making contact with the surface of the processor.

Its a 700mhz Athlon, And i just cant figure out why that system keeps locking up, but now that i think about it, it could be the processors.

What do you guys think normal temps for it are?

Comments

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited October 2005
    guys, i kind of need the answer.. im in a bind.. i cant find anything on yahoo...

help?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I can't find anything on Google, but my guess would be that it shouldn't be over 60°C.
    edited October 2005
    any ideas on why you think the machine would be freezing? i cant even finish a Win2000 install without the darn thing freezing up. I dunno what the problem is...

I took out all the extra PCI cards, everything, just left the video card, mobo, processor, ram and CD-rom drive and harddrive connected, still giving me crap, im about to pull out my hair!!!

ive checked temps look fine (67 deg. farenheit), did memtest on it, damn thing still freezes!! ive checked bios settings, everything looks fine, i just cant figure this out... im going to chop off one of my arms...

EDIT: can someone move this thread to the Emergency help forum? cause i need help asap...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    edited October 2005
    already tried that prof (look above)

but thx anyway
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Jengo wrote:
    already tried that prof (look above)

but thx anyway
    Oops... :hiding:

That 67F temp looks suspect to me. My room is warmer than that. :scratch:

Is that the CPU temp or the system temp? Either way, I'm not sure I trust that figure.

My experience with slot-format CPU's is that they rarely get the thermal paste changed, simply because it's such a hassle. I just dug out an old Athlon 700 to confirm this and gave up after a couple of minutes. If you can get it apart to replace the paste that would certainly be worth a try.

Another idea would be to set all the BIOS stuff down to dog-slow performance settings. I've had a number of systems where I couldn't get any OS installed any other way. Drop the RAM timing to the slowest, turn off IDE BusMastering, and anything else you can un-tweak for now. I had an old Abit board which took well over an hour (I want to say it was nearly two) for the OS to load doing it that way, at which point I was able to bump things back up to optimal settings.

If there is optional stuff on the MB you don't need (sound, network, raid, etc) disable it for now. You can always turn it back on once you get past the OS load business.

Finally, have you run the diagnostic from the HD manufacturer? A failing drive could cripple you right from jump street.

Good luck, man. :)
    edited October 2005
    thanks prof!, your a trooper, will certainly give some of those suggestions a try

;)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    what mobo is it on?