Civilization 4 Released

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
Sid Meier's Civilization IV is now available for PC.

Reviews are available at Gamespot (9.4/10), IGN (9.4/10), and 1up (9.0/10).

Anyone playing it?

Source: Civ4.com

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    so many typos...

I loved Civ2, didn't really care that much for Civ3, but did play it a fair amount. I dunno if I'll pick up Civ4 or not.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I loved Civ3! I may just buy this... but I also want fear and quake 4 damnit! I can only buy one game a month though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not enough "!!!!!!!!!'s" OMG!

OK I dunno why I did that just now... but you get my point I suppose. :p
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Looks fun, but I kinda like the basicness of Civ 1/2... although Civ 3 was still nice...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm going to wait to purchase this game. A while.

Known issues (I got all this info courtesy of CrazyJoe0813, who has been playing the game nonstop for two days):
    1. It doesn't play nice with ATI video cards. Apparently Firaxis is a subsidiary of nVidia now.
    2. Pixel Shaders are disabled below v2.0. All of the terrain uses pixel shading. Therefore, anyone with a slightly aged video card has completely black terrain. Firaxis said they don't plan on fixing this.
    3. The game doesn't want to install on WinXP - the fix is to install it in compatibility mode for another Windows version (CrazyJoe0813 had to install it in NT Compatibility mode).
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Wow... nVidia really are acting like a bunch of utter ****s lately aren't they...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm going to wait to purchase this game. A while.

Known issues (I got all this info courtesy of CrazyJoe0813, who has been playing the game nonstop for two days):
    1. It doesn't play nice with ATI video cards. Apparently Firaxis is a subsidiary of nVidia now.
    2. Pixel Shaders are disabled below v2.0. All of the terrain uses pixel shading. Therefore, anyone with a slightly aged video card has completely black terrain. Firaxis said they don't plan on fixing this.
    3. The game doesn't want to install on WinXP - the fix is to install it in compatibility mode for another Windows version (CrazyJoe0813 had to install it in NT Compatibility mode).

You might tell him to check out this fix proposed by 2k games:
    http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_ati.htm
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited November 2005
    I've been playing Civ4 for hours by now and i've not seen any bugs or glitch... I've got an ATI video card (not and old one though) and the game graphics are smooth and nice at 1280*1024 4x antialiasing.

Anyone who have play Civ3 and was hoping for more should buy this game if they have a computer that can run it, my .02 :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    It looks pretty sweet. I'll get it eventually (and they'll probably have the issues patched by then). Been buying too many games recently :D
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2005
    It's pretty different from the previous civ's. I like it, but a bit time consuming ;D

I'm pretty sure the bugs have been fixed too.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Plays fine on my Radeon but the style of play gets a bit boring for me. Having to wait all those turns for a single warrior and all that micromanagement. I kinda liked R:TW better.