Microsoft aims to trounce Google

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
BBC News is running a story about Microsoft's intention to beat Google in the search engine game.

Mr Gates said he saw Microsoft's strengths lying in search, but also in its software that provides the glue to make different devices talk to each other so that people can have more power over their content.
People are underestimating what Microsoft is doing with search technology, says Bill Gates.
The head of the software giant told the BBC that its ambition is to be bigger than Google in search.

He said that competition had ultimately been good for web users because it had pushed search technology. This meant search would be "far better" in a year.
Submitted by: Trogan_1000

Source: BBC News

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    ahahahha, good one...

I couldn't give a crap about glue and content, when I want a search engine, I want something that finds things on websites. Google also hit the nail on the head with a low bandwidth page that always loads fast and isn't full of pointless ****e.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited October 2005
    Well said Enverex! MS is going to have a hell of a time making me switch to their search engine. Hell, I only use their OS because there isn't a better alternative.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Madball wrote:
    Hell, I only use their OS because there isn't a better alternative.

And isn't this the basic reason behind using any product? You don't say well I only buy that brand cause it's the worst! :scratch:
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I like that part about the glue allowing all their different devices to work together, seeing as I haven't got any hardware that isn't a PC I'd be doing web searches on. This seems like one of those Microsoft "We'll be number 1 in a year because we'll force OS integration and then you won't have a choice" statements, just like Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

-drasnor :fold:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, that sounds about right. The only time I use Windows is to play games now, and I sure as hell don't want to pay large sums of money to have it running on any computer related device in my home.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    You know as much as people dislike Media player, I find it better than all of them out there :) but that is just me! but good luck to MS in taking google down.... Google is like a virus they are infecting everything!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Media Player Classic, unaffiliated with Microsoft, is a superior product, not to mention free.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    a superior product, in your opinion. I've used Media Player Classic, along with a host of others like Winamp, etc, and like Sledgehammer, I prefer Windows Media Player 10, which also is free (a moot point really, because with so many good free players out there who is going to pay for one?)