IBM Blue Gene/L Sets New Teraflop Record

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
Cnet reports that IBM's Blue Gene/L has once again topped its own teraflop record.

The 65,536 processor machine can sustain 280.6 trillion calculations per second, called 280.6 teraflops, IBM said Thursday. That's the top end of the range IBM forecast and more than twice the previous Blue Gene/L record of 136.8 teraflops, set when only half the machine was installed.
In addition, the lab unveiled a lesser known but also powerful machine with a speed up to 100 teraflops. The ASC Purple is built from more conventional IBM server products. Together, ASC Purple and Blue Gene/L cost $290 million. Both will be used for nuclear weapons simulations and other computationally demanding tasks.
Source: Cnet

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    That's how much faster than the human brain now? I forgot what the estimated speed of the human brain is off hand :p
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    22.8 tflops.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Oh wow, I was thinking it was 100 to 150 haha

:shakehead

So when will these super computers be able to replace my brain? :thumbsup: I need something faster!!! Guess it's time to overclock ;D
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2005
    would you be able to fold on your own brain?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    My brain manages computation very well, but there are some serious memory limitations.