So im diggin around

GobblesGobbles Ventura California
edited October 2005 in Hardware
So im digging around our warehouse looking at old machines or machines we dont use. I find this 2u nas looking box. I pull it out and roll it back to my desk to chech it out. I open it up, it has a 3ware 7506-8 raid controller. Sweet.

I pull the drive trays, all 9 of em. 8x250gig maxtor driveline 2 and a 40gig. SWEET

I fire it up, it has a P4 2.66 not to shabby. 512 of Kingston ECC 2100, not bad.

Windows 2003 server Yay

Tyan GC-SL S2707 serverworks motherboard. Woot.

It was just sitting there, it has been for months and months. I wonder if I can talk my boss out of it. I need a high end file server for all my music pron and movies at home. :D

No point to this thread, just thought i`d share.

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    8x250gig maxtor driveline 2 and a 40gig. SWEET

I fire it up, it has a P4 2.66 not to shabby. 512 of Kingston ECC 2100, not bad.
    Whoa. Just whoa. If he lets you take it, feel free to ship off one of those 250gb drives to me. I mean, you know, it's only fair or something ;D
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2005
    Wow, I wonder why he has a machine like that just sitting around? Let that puppy fold.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2005
    We build servers here and we used to build NAS for customers to store calls long term on. Its just this one was not built by us. I have servers all over the damn place lol. This one looked shiny in the plastic bag in the warehouse so I snatched it to play with it. Poor little 2U had a big mean 5U sitting on top of it. I doubt that I will get the machine with the drives. He probably will let me have the machine - the drives. We have use for them. Its a matter of not being forth coming with all the machine spec unless he specifically asks. :D

Its ok though cuz I have a stack of 160gig maxtor drivelines and WD 200's that have 0 value to the company that I can have to fill it. :D:thumbsup:

I also have several P4 3.06s around that I can toss in to replace the 2.66 cuz 350mhz is 350mhz.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited October 2005
    I want your job. I don't even get a discount at mine ;D

(Did you know that probably most stores leave their terminals up overnight? All the checkout registers I mean. 1) They're all like, 2.4ghz, which is a complete waste. 2) They sit on overnight, doing nothing but wasting energy. Bah.)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Quick, somebody figure out how to get a cash register folding!