New Motherboard and a side note....

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
OK I just got back from Fry's with my new motherboard. An Abit Fatal1ty A8N-SLI.

Now for the side note real quick. I was going to buy this from Newegg.com for about $202, but it was out of stock. Being that I didn't want to wait for it to come in stock I decided to check out the Outpost.com site and see how much it goes there if they have it. They did for $209. I decided that since I live so close to Fry's(damned traffic ugh) I would just go there and get it TODAY. Well I paid just under $250 for this board.... omg! That includes tax though, but still!!!! I would have preferred waiting for newegg! But I spent that gas(Fry's isn't actually that close), and my time(I hate wasting my day) and of course thinking of how much overnight shipping would be(not that I'd actually go for that, I preferr the cheapest method), and went for it.

Now I am close to being outta gas, no money to buy gas, but I hope it's all worth it :thumbsup:

BTW I'll be updating my SALE list in the trading forum :thumbsup:

Anyways, I'm about to get this baby put BACK together, and I hope to post some benchies later tonight and overclocking abilities. :D Maybe some pics too(batteries are gone on my camera, they won't recharge)

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    PROBLEM!

I put all the nessesary things on, the PSU, MB, CPU, HSF, GFX Card, MEMORY... nothing else and it'll turn on, but only for a couple seconds.

It'll turn on, the fans are spinning up, then spin down for a sec, then spin up for a sec and turns off. WTF?!

The MB uses a 24pin ATX connector, but I only have a 20pin, I was told this is ok though but I may not get the onboard sound or something.

Anyone? Ohh and the POSt code is h8, or 84, can't tell which way it goes but I think it's h8. It's not listed in the manual :(
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    You need an adaper... unless your video card takes power from an externel source ex a molex connecter.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It's working now, installing Windows atm so I have some time till it formats the drive.

I forgot out the Abit Curse..... every abit board I have ever owned had initial problems, but after it works itself out, they never pop up again. It took like 50 reboots and several variations of my 4 memory modules installed for it to finally work out, but it did. :D

Oh and let me tell you, this uGuru thing is so nice, and all the pretty colors! :eek:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Well right now it's all up and running... but this Abit uGuru software has a slight problem if you ask me. It says that the Abit EQ uses ZERO CPU usage... but before I flashed my BIOS becuase it didn't recognize my processor(so it was in single mode) it used 100%!!!! Now it's flashed and is in dual core, but using 58% of both my cores!

Ugh, plus I can't quit out of it, it just re-opens. I can't even run the program cuase it freezes on me(the program, not the computer). This is after an update of the program too.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    The nice thing about Fry's is that they take back stuff with little fuss. Get the DFI as it is the overclocker's board! ;)

IMHO you paid way too much for a board that isn't that great of an oveclockers board and it sure seems like you have been trying to find the max on that X2 3800.
  • edited October 2005
    Yeah, I agree with mtgoat about the Abit board. From what I've read, it's not a great overclocking board. IMO, Abit has gone down as a supplier of enthusiast boards in the last couple of years. They have been going for all the pretty uGuru **** and ignoring making boards that are stellar overclockers. The last truly great mobos they made were the NF7 rev2 series (not the NF7-S2) and the IC7 series and IS7 series, IMO.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I've already fallen in love with this board, and am currently at 2.5GHz. I just activated winderz over phone becuase I've installed it too many times as is. I'll keep this board for now. :)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Ive always been an Abit fan, I owned a DFI NF3 S754 and I tell ya It was a pain in my ass. I sold it went back to an Abit board and it worked great.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Glad you got it working RWB..

The 24-pin ATX 2.0 standard *should* be backwards compatible on the majority of boards out there. I ran my DFI NF4 Ultra-D with a 20-pin antec PSU for several months without issue. The only thing to be careful of is additional PSU connectors on the board that need to be connected.

That abit board looks pretty cool. I think the red PCB has some hypnotic properties to it :D
  • edited October 2005
    Ive always been an Abit fan, I owned a DFI NF3 S754 and I tell ya It was a pain in my ass. I sold it went back to an Abit bored and it worked great.

Your Abit board was bored? ;D;D I've had just the opposite experience with my 2 DFI NF3 250Gb boards, Gnome. They were easy to set up and are utterly stable.

RWB, I'm glad you are happy with your board and so far it's proving to be stable for you. But unless Abit has been able to improve the HTT overclocking abilities of the board through bios updates since the articles on tests of that board have been made, don't expect to get some super high HTT frequencies out of it. Also I remember reading that the board didn't give very high mem voltage options too, but maybe that's been remedied by bios updates. I'm also not a fan of utility based overclocking, so the uGuru stuff doesn't appeal to me at all. I rather do my overclocking with the bios options, myself.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Your Abit board was bored? ;D;D I've had just the opposite experience with my 2 DFI NF3 250Gb boards, Gnome. They were easy to set up and are utterly stable.

RWB, I'm glad you are happy with your board and so far it's proving to be stable for you. But unless Abit has been able to improve the HTT overclocking abilities of the board through bios updates since the articles on tests of that board have been made, don't expect to get some super high HTT frequencies out of it. Also I remember reading that the board didn't give very high mem voltage options too, but maybe that's been remedied by bios updates. I'm also not a fan of utility based overclocking, so the uGuru stuff doesn't appeal to me at all. I rather do my overclocking with the bios options, myself.

Ok I quit the Internet Its over for me! lol I swear When I am in the right frame of mind I dont type this bad! I mean I type up a storm in my college journalism class without a hitch!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Not using uGuru at the moment. I uninstalled it. Right now I am running 2.5GHz, ran dual instances of Memtest each using 888MB for 20 minutes along with Prime95 and downloading stuff in the background while listening to music in iTunes and surfing the web.

Nothing went wrong. But when I try to play BF2, it want's to crash. Although my system has yet to freeze up which is awsome.

3D Mark 05 gave me a score of 3550 with only my CPU OC'd and nothing else tweaked even(gonna retweak the system though, I don't really care how much it OC's, just having a bit of fun). Aquamark was 61,000(with stuff going on in the background).

I dunno how good those scores are though being that I never really got to test my new 6600GT out in my last MB.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    OK it seems BF2 was just bugged, it does it even not OC'd. Reinstalling it now :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    it works. But I am no lnger in the OCing mood, it doesn't seem to help in games much anyways... CPU wise anyways.
  • edited November 2005
    RWB, what did you do with that Asrock board you had? Did it die on you or something?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Yes it is dead, I got an return request from newegg... and never returned it :(

Now I am stuck with this POS and no money cause I suck :shakehead