microsoft IE, WMP, I Tunes all not working..

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Alright guys, heres a question for you. A while back my computer went stupid and the net would not work, you can view that whole discussion here: http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35775&page=2&pp=20

I think what ended fixing it was some winsock file that was a bunch of patches. That enabled me to get firefox going, but ever since then I have not been able to get IE to work. And sometime in the last two to three weeks all of a sudden my Windows Media Player and I Tunes will not get info from the net, I also had trouble importing data in Microsoft excel from the net. I believe all of this is related, and I am asking for your help. I cannot even get xp updates because IE wont run, I have tried reinstalling it but that hasnt worked either. I am not very computer literate so make sure your directions include screen shots or you give a really good description PLease!! I trust some expert on this board can help me fix my problems. I hope I provided enough info to get an answer, any other info you may need just let me know. Thank you so much, I have dealt on this forum before and the help was great!

Comments

• edited October 2005
    BTW, I just tried to do a system repair with my xp disc, I got to the point where it asks for an administrator password. What Do I do next? I came to a command prompt that said D:WINDOWS>, My hard drive is D btw, I have multiple hard drives on the computer. Another question too, When I restart my comp it always opens a windows explorer window that shows the contents of the WINDOWS folder, why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited November 2005
    Hello,

Do you happen to have a list of Anti-spyware programs, and anti-virus programs. All the programs you have listed are very common programs to be attacked, often times programs can be stopped through a single piece of code installed on your system.

When you say IE won't work what do you mean by that? Will it not open? Have you tried going to Start > Run > iexplore to open the program? Need just a bit more on the specifics of this.

Same thing goes for WMP, what do you mean by "It doesn't work?" Obviously you said you can't get the info from the net, but is that all? Can you still play songs and CDs and just not get the info?

I really don't know about iTunes. I'm not a fan of the software so I don't have much to say about it. From past experience, though, things like this are usually linked to same piece of software, so once you fix one, they all are fixed.
  • edited November 2005
    to answer your question.. All of these programs will open and run fine, I can still play mp3, cds, burn, etc with wmp, I tunes is the same, I can open IE as well. All of the programs just act is if they are not connected to the net. I cannot get internet info from WMP or i tunes, and IE gives you the normal jiberish that it does when the internet isn't working. I just got a new hard drive, so I think I will just wipe it out and start over, but I would still like to know what caused this and how I can prevent it in the future.

Another question, I just got this 120 gig hard drive, will my old computer recongnize all 120 gig's? I am running xp pro, I have a 448 mhz pentium 3, with 320 mb or ram. This is pretty old school stuff, but so far it has got the job done. Does anyone know of anywhere on the net to buy more ram really cheap??
  • edited November 2005
    hey guys, I still need help... Please respond, thank you.
    edited November 2005
    I assume it may be something wrong with your firewall, but that's very doubtful. The best idea I have for you is to Download Hijackthis and submit the list in the spyware, virus, trojan forum.

For your other issue, yes WinXP unpatched will pick up 120 gigs, it stopped at 134.7 when it first released, but if you patch XP it will pick it all up.

As far as Cheap RAM goes, I've found no better website than Newegg.com
  • edited November 2005
    what do you mean by patching xp? How do I do it?
    edited November 2005
    what do you mean by patching xp? How do I do it?

By patching XP I just mean installing Microsoft Updates. If you don't have it automatically on, then you can go to Microsoft.com and do what you need there.
  • edited November 2005
    I see, the problem is my IE wont work, and it will not let me download the updates using mozilla.
    edited November 2005
    As long as your computer still detects the internet, you can set up automatic updates in your control panel.

Go to Control Panel > Automatic Updates > Select automatic, and select the time you need. Windows will do as it needs from there. No need for IE or Mozilla.