More Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI probs

edited October 2005 in Hardware
This is a board that's been covered a lot in these forums, I know, and I've tried to follow through most of the other threads, but my situation doesn't seem to be covered.

I'm having problems booting into XP from two PATA harddrives which have not been reformatted and have not had XP reinstalled. I pulled these directly from one old computer and into the new parts listed below. There're also two opticals.

The board keeps insisting they are SATA, even though they are installed in parallel. I'm stuck doing the following:

1) Let the board think they're SATA. The board gleefully recognizes all four drives, tries to start, then immediately restarts after the wonderful "Verifying DMI pool...." message. It will do this twice. The second time, I can load into Safe Mode, where I can play with drivers, but not my computer.

2) Tell the board that it's dealing with plain old IDE drives. I turn off IDE/SATA in the CMOS, enable all four IDEs, disable (or leave enabled, tried both) the SATAs, and save and restart. I get this, which will be familiar, judging by the other threads:

NVIDIA Boot Agent 201.0462
Copyright etc.
PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-M0F Exiting NVIDIA Boot agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, etc.

Recently I'm noticing that it says I can enter RAID configuration, but I'm also noticing it wants to configure the two opticals. Hard drives are in IDE 0 (Green on the board) Opticals in IDE 1 (white.)

What's the step that I'm missing? I've checked cables, which all appear to be firmly in place, installed both the newer SATA and ATA drivers available from Gigabyte, tried leaving everything enabled, or one or the other. No dice. It never makes it past the Verify message.

I'd really appreciate any help. I had hoped to spend the weekend tooling around with a new system, but not like this.

AMD 64X2 4400+
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI
Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
512MB RAM X 2
Mad Dog 550W Power Supply

EDIT: By the way, if this IS in another thread, please point me in the right direction, and I apologize for not finding it in the search.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    i hate to ask BUT if you had some money to spend why did you get a gigabyte???
  • edited October 2005
    Heh heh. Unfortunately, it was recommended. I'm a novice at building from scratch, so I didn't know any better.
  • edited October 2005
    I should (probably) point this out too: In safe mode, windows has no trouble seeing the two harddrives and their locations. It gives no volume information in device manager, but I couldn't tell you if that's new, since I never noticed before.

I really feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious here.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    You didnt reformat or reinstall XP? What did these drives come out of? You can't cram drives from another MB/chipset into a new MB/chipset and expect them to boot properly? Hopefully I missed something. Fill us in.

Tex
  • edited October 2005
    Yeah, it was a comedy of errors, culminating in that last one. Deleted the XP partition, reinstalled, everything's clicking along now.

Thanks for your patience.