Black screen after bootup

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hey can anyone help me, after booting up i get a black screen. I tried safe mode and i get the service pack and number on top and in corners but no startup screen or "welcome screen" as u may call it. And last known good config does the same. i have a feeling this has something to do with lsass.exe because i was infected by a bad program. so i searced my computer for recent files created and it was a file that lsass acessed. So i tried to switch the lsass.exe with the one i have in my I386 file and after reboot i got the black screen.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Hey can anyone help me, after booting up i get a black screen. I tried safe mode and i get the service pack and number on top and in corners but no startup screen or "welcome screen" as u may call it. And last known good config does the same. i have a feeling this has something to do with lsass.exe because i was infected by a gay program. so i searced my computer for recent files created and it was a file that lsass acessed. So i tried to switch the lsass.exe with the one i have in my I386 file and after reboot i got the black screen.

Mike,

At this point I'm not sure what to suggest. lsass.exe is in charge of running your local securities, login etc. It is a favorite target for many worms/viruses, etc.- but it is a required process for the stable operation of your PC.

I'm assuming you blew away your prior copy without a back-up, so without a version control number and no way to have this PC access your system files and network, I think you might be stuck with doing an OS repair- but before you do, do one thing-

Get out your OS install CD (I'm assuming you have XP Pro- please state this whenever you post a potential OS problem) and get into the recovery console and try chkdsk /p. Post back and let us know how it went.

If anyone else has a better idea, I'm sure they'll chime in.
  • edited November 2005
    well i replaced the lsass.exe with a copy of my back up
    edited November 2005
    well i replaced the lsass.exe with a copy of my back up

OK. Just understand that sometimes a program like lsass.exe may need the changes to all the other files that happened when it was updated too.

Did you run chkdsk /p? If you are uncertain how to use this there is This Write-up about the recovery console that may help.

chkdsk would help check your disk for trouble. But can you even run the installation disk or are you still having trouble? I'm also kind of fishing for a little more feedback from you that might uncover other possible problems. My favorite black-screen problems are generally caused by a failing power supply.

If you suspect a virus and you have a bootable anti-virus disk with up-to-date definitions, you might run it as well and see if it turns up and maybe fixes anything.

Try running Memtest too. Memory failures do the dangedest things.

If these turned up nothing, I was going to suggest you try to Repair the OS and see if that doesn't help- but I'm not sure.

Hope something turns up-
  • edited November 2005
    well one problem is that I dont have an installation CD, i'll try to get it from my uncle 'cause im using one of his licenses for xp 32 sp2. I have the original lsass.exe on my desktop but i cant get to it.

another thing is i have a xp64 cd and was wondering if you heard anything about driver support? Is it 100% safe? Thanks in advance.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    if you have any usb devices plugged in, or a modem remove them. I had both do that to me.
  • edited November 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    if you have any usb devices plugged in, or a modem remove them. I had both do that to me.

thanks but no luck, i unplugged all. ill just have to wait. I can tell the comp is running fine just not visibly on the welcome screen. The windows xp loading gui runs, so i dont see y the welcome screen doesnt.
    edited November 2005
    You still might try Memtest and the anti-virus boot disk while you wait anyhow and let us know how it went.

Get Memtest86 here

Download memtest, create a boot disk and set your PC to boot from it. It will automatically run. Let it go for a couple of hours (a couple of full passes). If you have more than one memory board, do them one at a time. If there is a failure, replace the bad memory stick.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    I dont need to do the memtest. My memory is fine, i did the memtest for my bsod a couple weeks ago. imma get crackin today to fix it though.
  • edited November 2005
    Wait is it possible for me to slave my HD to another computer and then fix the lsass file?
  • edited November 2005
    Okay its all fixed. I usede my uncles CD and repaired it. Luckily nothing was damaged severly.
    edited November 2005
    Yay! Thanks for letting us know! :D

:thumbsup: