AMD folding questions

binsoutonfridaybinsoutonfriday banbridge, N.Ireland
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
hello

i crunch FAD with with techimo.........but today founnd at that fad willcease to be quite soon. some of us are considering folding from here on. i had heard that folding and AMD did not sit well together. Jusst wonderin if any of you had any experince/problems/NO Problems folding on amd?

http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5649&highlight=

thanks

bins........

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    hello

i crunch FAD with with techimo.........but today founnd at that fad willcease to be quite soon. some of us are considering folding from here on. i had heard that folding and AMD did not sit well together. Jusst wonderin if any of you had any experince/problems/NO Problems folding on amd?

http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5649&highlight=

thanks

bins........

What the ... ???

I ring in with an Athalon XP 3000 Barton that has no problem. Been going since August. The only problems folding I had had nothing to do with my proc being an AMD.

Keep your heatsink/fan clean! :D And "Welcome to the fold!" :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Team 93 would DEARLY love to have you on board. We are a very dedicated, small, and personable team of good friends :D

On that note, believe me when I say there are NO problems folding on AMD processors. I would venture to say that the ratio of AMD to Intel on this site is probably 60/40. 75% of my 'farm' consists of AMD processors and they fold superbly well - in most cases better than their intel counterparts.

You've come to the right place to ask. Regardless of whether you decide to fold for our 'little team that could', we are very willing and happy to help anybody join folding ;)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    As everyone else has mentioned, it is extremely unlikely that you'll run into any trouble.

But if you do, you'll find all the expert advice you need right here in our forums. :)
  • edited November 2005
    binsoutonfriday, there was at one time a problem with folding Gromacs based work units on some AMD processors while using the SSE extentions, but Stanford was able to succesfully reproduce the problem and worked with AMD for a workaround for this and AMD acutally listed this as an errata in their spec sheets. There is now no problem with any of the work that Stanford is doing in the project.

The only problem with AMD processors and the work units presently being assigned is not a processor problem, but actually is a compiler problem. On work units using the QMD core, Stanford uses the Intel compiler and it(the POS compiler) won't allow the use of SSE2 extentions with an A64 processor. So Stanford has the assignment servers set up to not send these particular work units to anything AMD, unfortunately. I wish that Stanford would make a separate core for AMD processors for the QMD work that uses the AMD compiler, but I guess they are just too busy to do that. You can actually move a QMD wu over to an AMD machine and it will fold the wu, but won't use any optimizations, which makes them process these wu pretty darn slow. On Tinker work units, which don't use any extentions at all, the AMD processors p0wn everything else, hands down.
  • binsoutonfridaybinsoutonfriday banbridge, N.Ireland
    edited November 2005
    wow........

thanks for the replies.......

i know that some fad crunchers are concerned about the same thing. hope you don't mind if i link to this thread. thanks again.......... :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    No AMD & F@h issues here! :smokin:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I run many many many AMD cpus...

FX-55
    Amd Athlon 64 4000+
    Amd Athlon 64 3200's
    AMD Athlon X2 3800's
    AMD Athlon X2 4800 - coming online with it first WU soon!
    I also have allot of Semperons, and Athlon XP's even a few Durons :) I might event still have a few T-birds myself in a box somewhere....

Just put it this way I run allot fo AMD's with no issues, Just look at SM competition folding teams. in my sig, AMD proc's are owning all :) If you ever have any questions in regards to AMD proc's let me know, As I am an AMD fanatic :) I also fold on a hand full of Dual Xeons machines. So I think I am well rounded :) I will actually have about 6 more CPU's coming up in my farm list that are all AMD proc's .
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    BOOF, Link all you want, just fold for team 93.

Many of us have been folding for years. I started with a 900TBird.
    The only 'issues' are the relitive efficency of different CPUs folding various work units.
    Since all of my boxes run AMD I really see the effect when the program switches gears to wus that aren't as AMD friendly.
    Any solid machine will fold fine. It is a bit of a stress test to fold 24/7 so make sure that your PSU, memory and cooling are up to the task. Or don't, you'll find out soon enough.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    No AMD & F@h issues here! :smokin:
    Coming from our #1 folder and former #1 producer, he knows what he's talking about. On my end... over 1/2 of my systems are Intel CPU's but my AMD's kick the Intel butts.

AMD and F@H ROCK!!! :thumbsup:
    :smokin:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    All my pc's are AMD and fold 24/7 without error.
    Been folding with AMD's for a few yrs now without problems.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2005
    All my builds so far have been AMDs and all have folded for a certain amount of time for team93 with no problems =D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2005
    Figured might as well throw in my 2 bob's worth.

We have around 7 AMD machines, all folding 24/7. No problems what so ever.
    From an XP2500+ to A64 X2 3800.

So yes, i say have a go. This little Team of merry mad folders are scattered all over the world.

w00t for Team #93. :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    All AMD machines here besides my Lappy. Never a problem.
  • binsoutonfridaybinsoutonfriday banbridge, N.Ireland
    edited November 2005
    thanks again guys for all of your replies.

i'm folding for ............team 111 (techimo) :o..........on a p4 ( very lowly in the ranks at the minute.)

still crunching fad on the a64 i'll keep it going till my jobs finish.........

cheers.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    i'm folding for ............team 111 (techimo) :o..........on a p4 ( very lowly in the ranks at the minute.)

right program ...wrong team! :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    oh well, we could all hope :)

Congrats on switching to folding! Fold on! :fold:

:smokin: