Options

Testing the motherboard

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Ok guys I just got the RMA motherboard back and I just want to test it itself just to make sure there isnt teh same problem. could someone give me a way to test it.

Thanks all

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Put it on its static bag on top of the box. Then install CPU, heatsink, memory and video card. Next connect keyboard and monitor and PSU and power up.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    and unless your motherboad has on-board reset and power buttons (like mine :) ), you'll have to plug in the power switch from the case.
  • edited November 2005
    ugh, its doing the same problem as last time. it turn on for a second and shuts off. the green light on the board is on. what couold it be!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    well its probably not the motherboard then.. sounds like a power supply problem or its not getting enough on the 12v rail.
  • edited November 2005
    im using a 420w one that came with the case, turbolink. I dont wanna take out my pc :mad:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    could be the CPU overheating. are you sure about the contact between heatsink and CPU?
  • edited November 2005
    yeah, that part is perfect, i even tried putting a little pressure on it, even on the other motherboard
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    When my system did that, I found that the CPU was bad. Do you have another CPU you could try on the motherboard? Or another system you could try the CPU in?
  • edited November 2005
    It could still be a power supply problem. I have one of those turbo link 420 psu's (came in a case I bought) and it's the absolute worst psu I've ever used, including powmax. The 12v rail was so weak it wasn't funny.
  • edited November 2005
    thanks guys. I will be trying a differnt psu this weekend and if it isnt that then I will be giving my cpu to my friend to try.
  • edited November 2005
    Well I have the Mobile AMD athlon 64 3200. and I just put a dab of that heatsink compound on and the hsf just touches, doesnt smudge it.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    The thermal compound has to be spread over the proc's surface, have you done that or just dabbed a spot in the middle of the chip?
  • edited November 2005
    I do spread it out but to see if the hsf actually touch the cpu i put a dab that stuck up to check if it would smudge on the hsf. It didnt so i guess it is not touching.