Old Hard Drive Data From Desktop Drive to External USB 2.0

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I now work exclusively from a Sony laptop.

I recently removed several hard drives from old desktop PCs I owned. There is a lot of music on one of the disks, maybe both, that I downloaded when Napster was Napster.

I purchased a 300G Maxtor hard drive a couple of weeks ago and want to copy over the music on the old disks to the 300G drive. I got the 300G drive up and working after a few tries and love it. I put it into a Ultra USB 2.0/Firewire case and all is well. Everything works great.

I also have recently purchased and installed a couple of external 80G hard drives without any problems, but they were already in cases, et al.

The drive I am having problems with is a Maxtor 88455D8 8G drive. I purchased an Airlink USB 2.0 external case and installed one of the old drives into it to no avail.

I have tried jumpers on the drive on almost every imaginable combination with no success except when the jumpers are in the "master" position. Then the laptop sees the drive but it will not populate or read the drive. All other jumper positions make the drive unrecognizable by the system.

I am using XP pro and my laptop is clean. I completely reformatted the internal drive, reinstalled XP Pro and all software about a month ago due to experimenting with a lot of hardware and software for the past 9 months.

I have the user manual for the 88455D8 from Maxtor...no help. MaxBlast 4.0 will not recognize the drive except in the master config.

I was wondering if anyone else has set up old drives in new USB 2.0 external cases with success? And if so, how did they address the drive?

Thanks ahead for thinking about this issue. I have read a lot of posts and replies on this Forum and there are some really bright people here. I am hoping that my music can be saved/transfered even though I know the chances are slim.

Thanks again,

tcinlas

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    setting it to master should of made it work. You might try it in another external case.

If you give up and want the music... send me the drive and I'll cut you dvd's from it.

Tex
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    in admin - computer management - storage - disk management

some times I have to change the drive letter for one of my externals to get it to show up in windows
  • edited November 2005
    The laptop sees the drive when setting the drive to master. However, it does not show up in Windows Explorer and MaxBlast 4 hangs when looking for drives to initialize.

It appears to be a conflict with the master in hte laptop. The USB 8G drive sets to location 0, the same as the master HD in the laptop. Would this cause a conflict?

I will also set to master tonight and change the drive letters as posted by gibbons.

Thanks for the tips. I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

Thanks,

tcinlas