DFI mobo can't detect SATA HDD (Raptor)

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Up until yesterday, I couldn't even get my new PC rig to post. I had to RMA the mobo (the source of the problem, I believe) and the CPU.

But now that the computer will start up, I can get into the BIOS and can even put in the WinXP install CD and get it to load....yet the BIOS is not detecting my brand new Raptor (74gb - still totally blank, and it's the OEM vers).

I've tried a few things, such as:
* loading the optimized defaults
* making sure all the SATA slots were enabled in the BIOS
* swapping the data and power cables running into the Raptor, but none of it worked.

After reading some threads here today, I saw the notes about hitting F6 during the WinXP install, and then using the Nvidia SATA RAID drivers floppy. I will try that as soon I get home.

However, I'm wondering if my Raptor was DOA. if the BIOS is not detecting it, would the HDD even get any power from the PSU? I only ask because it doesn't seem like the Raptor is spinning at all...it seems totally dead.

Any and all suggestions/help is very much appreciated!
And thanks to everyone who previously replied to my posts about my rig not posting (in other, older threads)

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I've got 2 raptors in my box now and that is correct. You must hit F6 to load the sata drivers and then it will recognize them.
    The drives are getting power, but just not working until they are installed (sata drivers). Hope this helps.
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks Hawk!

your post gave me some peace of mind, hopefully things will work w/o a hitch when I get home. i'll update this with the results
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    No problem. Glad I could ease your mind. I've been very happy with the raptors on my system. No problems with them for at least a yr now. :thumbsup:
    I'll keep an eye out for your update.
  • edited November 2005
    Update:
    I started the WinXP setup, hit F6, popped in the nVidia RAID drivers floppy, then chose
    1) nVidia RAID Class Driver, then
    2) NForce Storage Controller

and then I tried to continue the setup, but it still could not detect a hard drive. :confused2

I'll try again, and recheck all the settings in my BIOS, but I'm really confused at this point...
  • edited November 2005
    Just need to clarify - where is it not detecting it?

BIOS, the F6 install third party drivers bit, or when you go to format the disk.

If you are trying to get windows to run off it - start the PC with only the raptor disk in there. Otherwise you will run into troubles of where windows places the boot loader.
  • edited November 2005
    Hey Darkwolf,

Neither the BIOS detects it, nor can the Windows Setup detect it.

The raptor is the only HDD connected. No other SATA or IDE drives.

Maybe it's just a defective drive :(

First a bad mobo, now a bad Raptor
  • edited November 2005
    Do you have another PC there that can handle the drive? I.E. can you test the drive in another computer?

Alternatively - try installing windows to another drive and try detect from there - although generally you won't find it in windows if you can't find it in the BIOS.

And try the cable too.

Is it spinning up? Does it have adequate power?
  • edited November 2005
    I'll hit your questions from last to first:

* No, it doesn't seem to be spinning at all. I have tried both Molex and SATA power coming from my Seasonic S12-500w PSU. It is sharing the molex with 2 fans, but when using the SATA, it was the only component on that cable.

* I have tried 2 SATA data cables and tried to make sure there were no 90degree angles in the cable

* I will try to find an old IDE drive I think I still have lying around, and do as you said about windows, but I agree that it might be moot

* I am going to try to take the Raptor my my friend's place tomorrow and plug it into his rig, since he already has 1 Raptor up and running.

ooooooooh so damn frustrating. :(
  • edited November 2005
    What else have you got plugged in?

What is the Current Level of your PSU on the 12V Rail? I.E. My PurePower only has 15A on the 12V Rail.

What does the mobo manual recommend for your type of set-up, both Watts and Amps?

It sounds like a PSU to me unless the HDD is shot.
  • edited November 2005
    Called WD this morning, and the friendly tech said the drive was probably bad. She didn't ask about my PSU, but I did tell her that I tried both types of power. They're shipping me another Raptor and this one will be shipped back to them once I get it. I may try my Raptor in my friend's case tonight, but there is almost no point since the new drive is coming anyway.

I'll have to get back to you about the specifics on my Seasonic. Thanks for the help!!!