Prescott 2.8E chip running way too hot

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I know, I know it's a common problem. But this doesn't add up. I am using a Zalman AlCU 7700 heatsink, so why is the CPU at 75 degrees C? On my old mobo (MSI PT880 Neo) it was running at mid 50s. But when I swapped to a Gigabyte 8i875 mobo it is now 20 degrees hotter! I used Arctic Silver 5 in both cases. Is it to do with the PAT in the 875 board? I tried removing and reapplying the paste, to no avail.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Have you tried the program throttlewatch to see if your processor is actually throttling? I'm thinking that your Gigabyte mobo is just reporting the temps wrong, if you saw a 20 degree jump in temps while using the same hsf. If it is throttling, then check around the HRM for any interference between the Zalman and anything on the mobo or HRM (heatsink Retention Module, the bracket around the socket).
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried throttlewatch, and it is not throttling at 75 degrees. So I pushed the CPU to 100% for 7 minutes. It reached 80 degrees C, and during this time it throttled very briefly 3 times by about 12% each time. I am not sure if this indicates that the temperature reading is correct.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    80C is 176 Degrees! that is very very very hot. One of My Athlon 64's is over heating all the sudden! well not over heating but getting hotter than it use to. it pushes 69C after 8 Hours of rendering.... which is 156 degree's normally it was at 54C which is a safe 129 Degrees.

Intel chips are known to run very hot, I have seen soem guys getting there Pent 3.4's at 92C which is 197 degrees, that is freaking melting point, Im surprised there mobo's didn't fry.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    A prescott runnig hot, i've never heard of this! :eek:
  • edited November 2005
    How fast do you have the fan running on that Zalman? Are you using the speed controller that came with it or are you using it at full speed. If you are using the fan controller, try running the fan at full speed only and see what happens.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    Lower your Vcore voltage in the bios (Giga**** tends to overvolt a bit).

Set it to 1.45-1.52V (Any where in between there)
  • edited November 2005
    Vcore is already 1.47V. I have turned off smart fan, but it still runs at variable speeds between 2596 rpm and 2678 rpm. Case temp is 25C, CPU temp is (still) 75C.