Silicon Graphics to be Delisted from NYSE

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
SGI have a press release on their website announcing that they will be delisted from the New York Stock Exchange.

SGI's common stock has fallen below the NYSE's minimum share price standard for continued listing. The NYSE's standard requires that a company's common stock trade at a minimum average closing share price of $1.00 during a consecutive 30-day trading period. SGI's common stock has not returned to compliance with this standard.
On November 1, 2005, the NYSE notified SGI of its decision to suspend trading and stated that an application to the Securities and Exchange Commission to delist these securities from the NYSE is pending the completion of applicable procedures.
Source: SGI.com

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    pity ...
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited November 2005
    I agree it is sad news. My pops did a lot of work with their machines, but I think what they were most famous for was the graphics system in the N64. Correct me if I am wrong.

Plus they were big supporters of OSS, and while I am not a huge fan of OSS, it is very good for the industry.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    My very first unix experience was on an SGI machine :(

They used to be ABSOLUTELY elite.. If you had access to an Indy or an Onyx or something - watch out..
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I think they got killed with the whole project Fahrenheit.... anyone remember that one. another freaking Microsoft disaster. I feel bad for SGI but Bisop has lead them down this path. it hurts me even more as I have a few thousand shares in the company....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    the prophecy of doom dated august 2, 1999
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Microsoft executives were not immediately available for comment, but on June 30, Microsoft chief executive Bill Gates said that the Fahrenheit work is continuing and that "a year from now, we should see those results."

hmmm well no results = no Fahrenheit

I just hope SGI can get back on the ball. Maybe if they dunp intel and go AMD and start using both Linux and Windows, they can come back... but odds are that will never happen.....:(
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    'tis very sad....i used sgi machines throughout college and loved them---even had access to the refrigerator sized onyx for my senior labs...

RIP SGI
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited November 2005
    Unfortunately, SGI was too specialized to compete with the changes to the IT paradigm when things started to go down hill in the late 90s.

SGI made some amazing equipment, but we all know how hard it was for the IT sector after the bubble burst in 2000-01.