Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
Sysinternals has an article up with details on Sony's DRM software and a rootkit that gets installed with it.
Last week when I was testing the latest version of RootkitRevealer (RKR) I ran a scan on one of my systems and was shocked to see evidence of a rootkit. Rootkits are cloaking technologies that hide files, Registry keys, and other system objects from diagnostic and security software, and they are usually employed by malware attempting to keep their implementation hidden. The RKR results window reported a hidden directory, several hidden device drivers, and a hidden application.
Submitted by: muddocktor

Source: Sysinternals

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited November 2005
    Never be surprised at anything Sony does. After playing their MMO's for far to long I've learned to relize this.
  • edited November 2005
    I think they best way to handle this crap from Sony is to just boycott any of their products, myself. I don't plan to knowingly buy anything that Sony has a stake in. Definitely I wouldn't buy any kind of music from the bastards. I want to hit them in their bottom line, their profit margin.

BTW, I've already seen posts from lawyers; looks like a potential class action suit is brewing. ;D;D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    so heres what everyone needs to do...everyone go intentionally get a rootkit from sony, so that you can dip your hands into sony's pocketbooks when the case is won.