Microsoft Shifting to On-Demand "Live" Software

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
BBC News is reporting that Software giant Microsoft has announced a major push into online software services, in what is seen as a move to counter rivals like Google and Yahoo.

Several key products and services - from office software to e-mail and instant messaging services - will be delivered online and on demand. Similar to Google, Microsoft hopes to finance the move through advertising.
The new services will be called Windows Live and Office Live, and Mr Gates said they were "a revolution in how we think about software".
Submitted by: Gargoyle

Source: BBC News

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I like Microsoft, some would even call me a fanboy (though I'm not really) but I think this is the beginning of the end for them. I don't like these online services, I like buying an physically owning my software to use as long as I like and this software-by-subscription is another ridiculous way to draw money out of people. I use Office 2000, I dont feel I need to upgrade to Office XP and I certainly don't think I should have to keep paying to use it "but oh you get these sweet updates" good, my old version works fine, I don't need to "subscribe" to keep using it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    The only revolution I want is more for less. Thank you.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I decided to have a look at live.com today. To be honest, it's too similar to google's customized search page. Same thing but I'd pick Google over MS any day of the week.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    does this not mirror what google has already done..my lord.. i dont think that its as good as google. which i use as my homepage, how much better could google get, i have my gmail right there, so i dont have to go manually check it, i have my weather, quotes, news..all i need is for shorty or someone to make a feed for the google homepage..thatd be awesome.