reboot in normal/safemode hang...help!

Hi...

I'm hoping you can help me. I have a computer that after booting up either in normal or safemode hangs. Nothing works...except task manager (which is how I got it into safemode to begin with).

I have very important documents that I need off this computer asap so I'm hoping you can help!

Thanks in advance!
Bethan

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Bethan,

I've read-up a little on Your History and, unless someone else has something more definitive, I have this sinking feeling you might have a problem that might not be software related. While I do not know how you get to Safe Mode from Task Manager (?) I can appreciate what you're going through.

I would suggest the following-

Let's run Memtest- Get it Here or somewhere you normally get freeware, and make a bootable disk and run it a couple of passes. If you have a failure and more than one memory board, run the test on one board at a time until you get the culprit and replace it.

If no problems there

Run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on the Installation CD (I think you know how to do this- if not post back). If you are getting still more errors, it may be time to back-up your data if you can and think about a new hard drive. For the price of Hard Disks these days, I personally think it is almost not worth the trouble of trying to wrestle with a disk that even might be dying.

If you have an error and can recover your disk at all, immediately run an AV check on it and back-up with something like Norton Ghost or (my favorite) Acronis TrueImage- Better still, if you have a large external storage drive just copy your data.

If chkdsk does not come up with a problem, post back and we'll try to think of the next thing.

If someone else has a better insight or idea, I'm sure they'll post.
  • edited November 2005
    I thank you for your response...unfortunately the issue is not with my computer.

If I had the symptoms described I wouldn't be able to contact you ;) would you like me to create the boot disk on my working computer and then pass it through my father's? (which has the issue)

Getting into Safe mode from Task manager turns out to be easier than you'd think ;)

If you go into Task Manager under File click "New Task (Run...)" it will open the equivalent of the Start Menu "Run" Function...from there you can type "msconfig" and on the "Boot.INI" tab you find a box labelled "/SAFEBOOT" if selected will set the computer upon next restart to start in safemode.

My issue now is that when in Safe Mode it hangs and I don't have access to any programs or the internet to do any of the things I would normally do to try and rectify this situation.

I'll try a boot disk and let you know!

Thanks for your help!
    Bethan