Fuzzy Fonts

gtghmgtghm New
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
My fonts are fuzzy and blurry looking for some reason in IE Don't know what setting to change to fix, please help?

Thanks,
"g"

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    apt-get install mozilla-firefox
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    First thing i would do, is reset your monitor, and let it self adjust (if it has that function).

if that doesnt help, open up your videocards control panel, or whatever it has, and mess around with the settings with IE open until it gets better.

does this only happen with IE, or is it like this even for text on windows like the clock for example?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2005
    I should clarify, Its on a Laptop Dell Inspiron 8600, has the ATI 9600 128 with the UXVGA or what ever the best was, 15.4 widescr.

I used the most recent drivers, I just did a complete reinstall, it was not as smooth a reinstall as I would have thought, It turned out that the XP Pro disk was actually a copy of XP Pro and not a normal factory partition mirror of the original factory install... So at first I did the normal hit F5 at the install point and chose ACPI installation and i think that was not a good choice because I still had issues. so I wiped it again I just let the XP Pro disk choose the install and thought I was stable but it just had some issues that it never had so this last time I did a full delete partition and complete reformat twice before I let it install, it seems really good now but the graphics don’t seem as good and clear as they did from the original factory install...

I used all the dell drivers...

Some fonts are fine and others are fuzzy, almost smeary and some what pixilated.

The monitor driver is for a standard windows monitor and I can't find any dell monitor driver for this laptop screen.

The ATI drivers are off the latest dell driver DNL, my settings are 1920X1200
    32 bits DPI setting is at Large size (120) I know that this could be it but I have been using this thing for over a year now and I have had large fonts and icons and a nice size icons on my task bar on the bottom of XP and all my fonts looked great and no fuzzy/smeary look before...

For example; The fonts on this forum like the "new reply" buttons at the top and bottom left are smeary/fuzzy but the font I see typing this is just fine very clear and easy to read. Seems its bad on all the buttons but the other fonts all look just fine every where else, thread font is great, headline fonts are fine, date/time great, all great...

"g"
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2005
    Grab the cleartype tuner powertoy

I found it made a huge difference to my LCD clarity

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2005
    Tried it, no change... :|

"g"
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2005
    any other ideas?

thanks,
    "g"
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    ...The monitor driver is for a standard windows monitor and I can't find any dell monitor driver for this laptop screen.

The ATI drivers are off the latest dell driver DNL, my settings are 1920X1200
    32 bits DPI setting is at Large size (120) I know that this could be it but I have been using this thing for over a year now and I have had large fonts and icons and a nice size icons on my task bar on the bottom of XP and all my fonts looked great and no fuzzy/smeary look before...
    What's the native resolution for that screen? If you use anything but that you will have problems like you describe.

EDIT: A site I found says that your resolution should be 1680 x 1050 :)
    (re)Edit: Another site begs to differ:

(Last Paragraph)
    Dell's Inspiron 8600, which comes with a 15.4-inch screen... The model's base configuration includes a 1.4GHz Pentium M 710, a 15.4-inch WXGA (1,280 pixels by 800 pixels)...

The monitor driver thing may be the key, assuming your resolution is set properly. Have you tried to manually select the driver? One of the Standard Monitor>>>Digital Flat Panel types may work. Uncheck the box I marked in red:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2005
    Cool, thanks I'll give that a try. :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Any luck? :)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Any luck? :)

Yea, I forgot... I ended up changing from 120DPI on fonts to 96DPI (or what ever it was that was a setting in the adapter settings)

Thank you,
    "g"