Best ram?

edited November 2005 in Hardware
My very very fortunate cousin (aka rich parents) is building a new rig and has everything set up except for the RAM. So far she has Athlon FX57, PC Power Cooling 850W SLi, refrigerator cooling (didn't even know this existed), 7800GTX, 2 WD Raptors, and etc. The list goes on, but one thing she asked me was what RAM to get. As I'm not really an expert when it comes to RAM, I thought I'd ask here. In your opinion, what is the best RAM hands down?

Comments

• NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited November 2005
    She got an 850w PSU and only one 7800GTX? :p Anyway, OCZ EL and Corsair LL are top on my list.
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah, OCZ is supposed to have some 1 GB sticks that run low latencies and overclock pretty well too. Anandtech did a test of 3 different brands of 1 GB sticks recently and the OCZ was one of the 3.

EDIT: Here's a link to the article.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Of course, if she's not going to overclock she will at least be able to say she spent the money. I guess that is a question here- is there even any interest in overclocking? For me, if I had the cash, I'd want a bragging rights rig only if I'd do something with it I can brag about. Otherwise, big$ LL memory is pretty much valueless.
  • edited November 2005
    I look at it as future-proofing the rig, myself, buying the 1 GB sticks. Actually, the Gigaram memory in that Anantech article isn't much more expensive than a high quality 1 GB DC kit. With an A64 (which the FX is), 4 sticks of ram still can't run 1T command rate reliably, but will run 2-1GB sticks at 1T just fine. And running 1T command rate on the ram definitely makes a difference on the A64.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Read the anandtech article.
    Tell her to go 2x1GB.

What case will this be in?
    What games does she play?
    When is she buying the second video card?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Actually my comment wasn't a criticism but a plea to not run out and buy $4-500 (when I looked last) of high-end memory to no effect. If she's not OC'ing she can pick up XMS, HyperX or equivalent pair of 3200 sticks for $100 or more less and not miss a thing. I will say though that it looks like the high-end stuff has dropped in price quite a bit since I looked at it last ... hmmm.

I agree that 2GB (2x1GB) is the way to go no matter what. I'd even suggest going for 4GB if I was certain that her system might not be quirky about it. And that brings me to another question-

acidturn- what motherboard is she getting?
  • edited November 2005
    Actually, she did get two 7800GTX cards...I think they were from BFG.

As far as I know, this will be in a Lian-Li Full Tower case.

She plays a lot of WoW, dota, CS(not sure if source), HL, Ragnarok, Battlefield 2, and some other games.

I'm not really sure what motherboard she's getting. In the initial stages she was contemplating between the DFI LANPARTY, ASUS A8N, MSI K8N Platinum. I'll post what she got when I get to speak to her later today.

*edit
    Actually, I do remember her mentioning the fatality board. :scratch:
    I guess I'll find out when I talk to her.
  • edited November 2005
    Nevermind it's two eVGA 7800GTXs. She got a DFI Lanparty and says she might OC a little.