water cooling nightmare

test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
edited November 2005 in Hardware
well, im workin on the 3 grand system, and for 3 days now ive been leak testing the water cooling system. satisfied with the results, i added the uv coolant and powered it on. was working great. last night sometime the reservoir sprung a leak and the entire inside of the case got sprayed while it was running. i came down stairs and noticed the system was off. the thing is, its not my system. im building it for someone. whats the best way to do a cleanup on something like this. please help!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    oh ****

that really sucks, man.

The only thing I can suggest is let it dry thoroughly, and see if it works. :(
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited November 2005
    please pinch me and wake me up...
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Use a cloth and compressed air and do the best you can. Even a blow dryer would help.
    I read a few success stories on this same subject during the week.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Take out all the AGP/PCI cards, as water has probably seeped into the connectors. Let it all dry for at least 24 hours.
    edited November 2005
    on it... lol

the mainboard is pretty clean, as are the hard drives and the psu. the 7800GTX is probably screwed. there is corrosion on the solder points for the 12v connector, and weird looking bubbly brown and black $hi7 on it. i have yet to open up the dvd burners. in the mean time, the store i got the reservoir from has agreed to exchange it for a non leaky one.
  • edited November 2005
    Man, that really sucks, Tony. Hope you didn't mess everything up with the leaky res. Makes me glad I built my own reservoir for my watercooled dually instead of buying a readiy-built.
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Man, that really sucks, Tony. Hope you didn't mess everything up with the leaky res. Makes me glad I built my own reservoir for my watercooled dually instead of buying a readiy-built.

if ya want it done right... :thumbsup:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Where you see corrosion or discoloration wash those areas well. Use clean water and a soft toothbrush. Rinse well. Dry even better.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    hope it works for ya man ;)

My old v180 cell phone got put through an entire cycle in the washing machine one time. It was power ON before it went in, and when it came out it was OFF. I let it dry out, and it DID power back on. There's still hope for you! :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    wow dude. i would be so mad, and the fact that its not your system makes it that much worse. i would contact the manufacture and see what they have to say about their product malfunctioning and causeing a possible financial loss to you. (if they are willing to replace or reimberse you for anything as a result of their malfunctioning merchandise.)
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    or sue 'em
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    you could threaten them with that. but if a companies products cause some destruction. they are usually quick to fix their mistakes so that they dont need the bad publicity of a court.