Can't run programs, internet trouble.

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Windows XP

This seems to be an emergency, as it seems to be taking over our other computer... I managed to download Hijack This on my other computer on a user account that wasnt heavily damaged from whatever this is. I could not run Hijack This on that computer, so i sadly cannot seem to obtain a logfile at the moment. As a matter of fact all .exe's icons arent showing, and are unable to be used. Internet explorer seems to be having trouble loading webpages/doesnt load them at all (basically rendering the PC USELESS at the moment). As i logout of a user account a grey box pops up with really weird text. Any ideas or help? Does anyone know if this can spread or become worse unless something is done soon?
Thank you for your help.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    What happens when you try to run HijackThis in Safe Mode? :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    id say go into safe mode and try to run it. go to i think its either panda or tren micro that have an online virus sacanner if you can get online in safe mode.

other than that, id say try and get a logfile.
  • edited November 2005
    I went into safe mode and still, hijack this wont run because my windows no longer seems to recognize .exe's and such. I put hijackthis on a floppy afterwards from this computer to that one and still no icon popped up and it was still unable to be used. My comp needs to be able to run the .exe's for hijackthis to run (or so i think that is the problem), has no one else had a similar problem?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    If you have a test box with an updated virus scanner, pull the problematic hard drive over and scan it (ensure that real time scanning is active). Otherwise, try using this bootdisk which I use alot...http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    edited November 2005
    yeh, if all else fails, if you have your install disk, you could go do a repair install, or try the recovery console, which rarely works.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2005
    Shadow1458 wrote:
    I put hijackthis on a floppy afterwards from this computer to that one and still no icon popped up and it was still unable to be used. My comp needs to be able to run the .exe's for hijackthis to run (or so i think that is the problem), has no one else had a similar problem?

Shadow sorry for the obvious question - But are you trying to run the program from an Icon or from the actual .exe file??????? eg are you double clicking the actual hijack this.exe file or are you looking for an icon to double click?
  • edited November 2005
    Wow, I remember this one. My friend got it. Short explanation, it eats .exe's.

I honestly have no point to posting this beyond 'what a really amazing virus, I'm sorry you got it but whoever made it...shoo wee!'

I guess just reinstall windows...you basically need to back up your files because you're not gonna get this fixed easily/cheaply...it's quite sophisticated!
    edited November 2005
    hmm. people that make virus's are such ass holes.