Frequent Blue Screen

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have an Athlon 1.8 gig, with Win XP pro.. all hardware says no conflicts, but I get frequent blue screens (recent full reload of XP, on a clear hard drive, only hardware added after install is 2 512 DRAMS and a USB 2.0 Hub).

Is there a straightforward analysis tool to find where the problem is without going through the hours and hours microsoft recommends?

Thanks,
R. Clagett

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Tell us what the error on the BSOD says and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Since you've installed new RAM, a couple of passes of Memtest-86 would be a good idea, too.

Good luck. :)
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    How many USB items do you have connected (if any) to the hub? Also, as suggested by profdlp, get the exact error message on the blue screen and we can work from there.
  • edited November 2005
    I have had PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and an IRQ error (not always the same one)

Memtest 86 needs to be on a boot disk, correct?
  • edited November 2005
    Only the external hub, no devices at the moment. All USB devices in use (other than the hub card itself) are through the mother boards ports.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    One or more of those sticks is bad due to the bad read of page frame numbers. Try one stick at a a time to see if one is bad (cross your fingers). Try using the old stick as a control test subject in your diagnosis.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    It could be a memory problem, or a faulty driver causing a hardware device to use a portion of memory it shouldn't.

Run Memtest, and you might want to have a look at this, too. :)
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks a lot.. good idea..
  • edited November 2005
    Seems like everything is pointing to my new RAM.. I will pursue. this is great, I could get no logical help anywhere else. Glad I joined. Thanks for all your input.
This discussion has been closed.